Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Win Big, Mama's fallen angel...continues.

Tuesday 3/25:

We called it the Huntington Day, but it wasn't to be. After driving all the way out to Pasadena (a very pretty area), we went through the Huntington gates and encountered a gruff-looking guard, who said "Hi, we're closed" while shoving a pamphlet at us. We were disappointed, as the trip has cost us pretty much half the day, but we decided to stop by In-n-Out for lunch. I got a double and the Lily-recommended Animal Fries, which were totally tasty with their Frisco sauce, grilled onions, and cheese.
I have to say, though--I don't get all the major hype. It was a good burger, but burgers are inherently good. They don't exactly hold a candle to Booche's in terms of tastiness, and aren't as good as, say, a TGIFriday's burger either. Again--good burger, good experience, and totally surprisingly cheap prices. But I don't get why Hilary Swank chose it as her Oscar night meal when Wolfgang Puck was cooking.
We went home, stopping at Ralph's on the way for Clementines and rum for Pina Coladas. Dad said he'd drive me out to Giant Robot after dropping the other kids off, which was fairly close by--a stop I had been dying to make since the trip was planned. It was on a cute little side street with a bunch of Japanese restaurants and shops, and I couldn't wait to see what they had for me to surprise Neil with. I saw some homemade Ugly Dolls in the window as we approached, and I was totally excited. I blazed through the store, looking for their stock, but found nothing but keychains and journals...and was about to ask for their whereabouts, when I noticed Ugly appendages peeking out of the other front window comprising a corner of the store. A small handwritten sign read "Ugly Dolls--at your own risk!" and pointed to the pile--probably a 3'x3' window, piled floor to ceiling with Ugly Dolls of every common variety, new and old. Grabbing one from the middle could cause an avalanche, so I knew I couldn't get too excited. But I was! I immediately spotted Big Poe on top, and a green cone hat with an eyeball. Could it be the elusive gray Sleepy Chilly Ice Bat, exclusive to ComiCon 2007? It was! Our collection would be complete! I found little red Ice Bat, little green Abima, and a little gray Wage with yellow eyes and red teeth. I knew I couldn't go much further than that, though the two colors of little Ugly Deer were tempting, as was the perfectly adorable Poe keychain (that I wish I'd gotten, now).
I can't wait to go there with Neil someday. He's going to explode.
After this, Dad and I went to see the Beverly Hills library and experienced this town's perfectly charming City Hall area. It ended up being quite a good day for one that didn't start out well!
Dinner was the previously mentioned Pink's. Steve and I both got the Huell Howser dog, and I added corn chips and chili. Others ordered the guac dog (Ugh!), onion rings, polish sausage, and more artery-clogging goodness--all told, about 15 items were ordered, which our cute little cook rattled right back to us after I'd recited off my list--no notes on his part needed, and he got the order perfect. It was quite the system. There were endless celebrity autographed portraits on the wall, but Will Farrell's--"You did it!"--was the best. Beth, Lily's fabulous dance friend, was waiting with Dad and Gibs when we got back home, and it was, as always, great to see her. We watched "The Bachelor" while the men smoked and later played a little Catchphrase and Scattergories.
Wednesday 3/26:
Getty Day.




No comments: