Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Robbie & David

Tonight was "inspirational song week" on Idol, which I figured would be a snooze-fest. I don't go for Xtian rock, or "We Are The World"-type songs, but I knew that Michael Johns or David Cook would mix it up and perform a rockin' version of "Amazing Grace" or something.

As for Archuleta, as much as I hate to say it, I think he's lost that spark he had...it climaxed at "Imagine," and he became crazy-crazy popular, and now something's gone from his eyes. He'll for sure stay awhile, even winning the whole thing, but it's like his spirit was killed. That great big endearing smile hardly ever crosses his face anymore. I figured he'd do a serviceable Jesus song, wow Paula and the girly crowd, and sail through.

When, in his interview, he talked about how he chose "Angels," I was sure it couldn't be the version I knew. There has to be more than one song called "Angels," right? Robbie Williams can't be in wee David's oeuvre. I allowed myself a small breath of hope, but knew I was probably going to be disappointed.






...and lo and behold, I wasn't! I am *so* glad I brought all my Robbie cds to work after the LA trip, because now I need a serious fix.

I don't even know if David blew me away with the song, or more his song choice...he certainly did well with it, but didn't hit that "And through it all" note as intensely as I wanted. But he still made my night.

Robbie Williams. It is such a shame he never caught on here! Simon touched on it when he said "I can't believe that song was never a hit over here, because it is one of the best pop songs ever written." I can't think of a single RW song I don't like, and I am not a song person...what is wrong with the US audience?

My first experience with RW was when the "Millennium" single was released in London in the fall of 1998. I didn't like it at first; nor did I like the arrogant pissant who strode around, high on his "Let Me Entertain You" popularity, wearing a column mesh dress on TFIFriday's like he didn't care how he looked (when it was obvious he did). But those songs were *everywhere*, and finally when our group attended a [British] football game and "Let Me Entertain You" came on over the PA system, I found that I was singing along. My friends were impressed that I knew the song so well, and I was buoyed by their laughter, incorporating some devil horns and head-banging into the mix. After that, I let myself fall, and have never looked back. So I was all the more tickled when a little boy with short hair and wide brown eyes said in a later TFIF segment "My name is Billy Smythe and I look like Robbie Williams." (Name of boy not accurately recalled at this time. I wrote it down somewhere though.)

In a way, though, I kind of like that there's only a few of us Statesians who can see how possumly awesome he is. Any tour he does in Europe is sold out immediately, but if he ever ventured to try one here, I'd get flamtabulous seats without selling my first-born to do so.

*sigh.*


Digression:
Em, should I reformat this to be centered? Do I look like a complete moron with this left-justified action?


I have to go take a shower so I can get to bed at a reasonable time, and so I don't have to take one tomorrow. But I'm very sleepy, and I fear a shower will wake me up. And I won't be able to get to bed at a reasonable time. It's a vicious cycle.

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

you mean, the paragraphing? I always wonder if my centering is annoying, being that i'm an english teacher and all formal and stuff!!
So no-- the lefty is just fine!! unless you love my centered thing. Then go for that. But no worries either way!

(word verification for today is "pmeqlek"-- like "Pammy-clique", which we should form in honor of The Office)