Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cutting cards

For hours. That's what I've been doing.

Neil's brother Paul gave us a sheath of papers, color copies of the tenth edition of a certain card game that was played in the Gold Room of HHS after school let out. The players wore a lot of black trench coats. Anyway, I learned how to play, and it's fun...and I like to cut things out, so that's what I've been doing. An afternoon of cutting, Frontier House, and breaks to play with Sean and talk to Emmsers on the phone. I've seen the show before, but it was always my favorite out of the PBS-history-reality genre, since it was so close to what I imagine Laura Ingalls' experience to be. It's sad to watch it and know that the Glenns would divorce soon after, while the petty and vain Clunes returned to their mansion in Malibu to continue their stupid rich lives as if this had never happened. You just hate them by the end. Nate, though, is simply a delight. You can tell the producers tried to fit him into their "Montage O' Complaints," but all he'd ever say was "It's a little hot out here!"

Anyway. Neil and I have been partaking of aforementioned card game once an evening or so, and it's been great. We just about split our wins (though if we ever compete with handmade decks I doubt there will be much of a game), and I'm definitely remembering why I enjoyed this game so much even with my questionable coaches and playing partners in Chicagoland.

I've switched to an 8-noon work schedule, I hope for good. It'll make my schedule more regular, give me more freedom in the afternoons, and I can still fit swimming in (when thunderstorms aren't on the menu) right after work. It's been going well so far, and the day passes by so quickly, as mornings always do.

I'm surprised at myself for being so smiley about this wedding! It helps that Emily is so enthusiastic about helping out and being involved, because I think if it weren't for her I'd be kind of deflated about the planning process. But this should be a fun thing to plan...not an obligation, not stressful, just making it so the day is a pleasant one for us. That's all it should be. I'm marrying Neil for me, not for relatives or friends I haven't seen in years or old family friends from states away. The last thing I want to do when I wake up on the morning of October 18th is think "Oh crap, I have SO MUCH to do today!" I want to go to bed singing the song from "My Fair Lady," and wake up with a smile and think "Yay! I'm getting married today! And we get cupcakes!"

So now one of my goals is, and this is such a cliche, to lose some poundage beforehand. I'm not talking anything drastic...I just want to get to a point where I feel good, proud of myself for watching my habits, and happy to have Emz clicking away around me instead of fretting about how I might look. I felt great when Neil and I first met, right before our family Thanksgiving photos were taken by the gorgeous Em, but it's been on the uphill track since then (hey...love'll do that to a person!) and it would be fantastic if I can feel perfectly beautiful, 20 pounds or so from now. I know it's not the answer to all of life's problems, of course...having been there and back a few times! But you have to admit, it does help!

Raw chicken is awaiting its marinade, so I must flee. (Do you think it's telling that raw meat makes me absolutely nauseous? I could never, ever, eat any turkey I prepared. I can't eat the chicken when I make it, and raw beef is even hard to swallow unless it's been in the Crock-Pot all day. Am I a true cook if I can't get over the smell/feel?)

No comments: