Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Let's hear it for hump day. Woot woot!

Man, today's (tomorrow, Thursday's) NYTX was a bitch. ONIONY bagels? UIE as a slang for turnabout? I liked the theme okay, but the fill was stupid. Well...the fill was stupid, with the exception of 41-across:

Hamilton who wrote "Mythology"



Behold...F O E returns!! What good memories of the very beginning of sophomore Block class. I was in the first one, with Jamie and Mike and Laura and Katie, and I'd never been in that unique of a class environment before, nor since. When we finished our unit on Ms. Hamilton's tome, I liked it so much that instead of doing some boring 'myth of my own' for the project due, I wrote an Ode to Edith. It was awesome. I also started the organization F O E (Friends of Edith). I believe Brian Gerke, in a rare moment of solidarity, was a charter member. I wrote F O E on people's hands, even if they didn't have Block.


So let's take a moment. Let's take some time to remember Mmes. Rahm & Grupe; their innovative ideas about how classes should be run; to be in such a large class in a new big scary high school that friends were inevitably present even on the first day (and yes, enemies like Sarah/Devon Wright); even though the research paper sucked, doing research for it in the media center during class time was fun and felt like I was getting away with something; having Quiz Bowl practice in the Block room after school, where Chris Housh would just answer everything...

These are quite random.

On to business:

The good things about today
  • I was having a major Dress/Idol/Bachelor conversation with Lily when Em called--two social events at the very same time! And a long message to listen to at the end! (Em, you make me laugh. You're such a cute grump.)
  • I swam and worked out with the new Roller deal. That thing burns!
  • Idol was Awe-SOME!!! Carly, the has-been from effing Ireland who thinks that she is sooooo beautiful and sooooo delicious to listen to and works as a barmaid at a nearby Irish pub because OF COURSE she does, and wears black leggings that make her legs look about two feet stubbier, and Constant tank-toppage to show off her ugly, ugly tats on her milky-white skin (skin that should be preserved in its beauty, gosh dang it!), is G-O-N-E. Hallelujah. I hate that she made it further than Michael Johns, but I don't even care that Syesha's still there. It's a worthy sacrifice. And a total shocker, because she fairly kicked ass last night on Andrew Lloyd Webber week.
  • "A Bit of Fry & Laurie" is totally cute. I didn't know it was a sketch show, but I adore them both so much that I don't mind. It was funny to see Hugh all quirky and happy this afternoon, then see ads throughout Idol for "House."
  • Nick Andopolis played a major role in the "Undeclared" episode we watched tonight. I wonder if he's as cute in Sarah Marshall?
  • Sean is getting mondo-colorful. His front legs are almost all orange-striped now and his lips are yellow. I know, it's weird that he has yellow lips.
  • I told my boss about our wedding plans earlier this week and she was so excited! It's neat to see that in people--I never expected anyone but us to really care about this day, so I'm always surprised when folks (like you, Em, or Lily) get enthused about the prospect. I guess I figure the excitement was when we got engaged, and that was about it for outside viewers (maybe because that's how I've always sort of viewed weddings and this whole process). Neil and I were killing time watching Entertainment Tonight or something yesterday, and the big news was that Bush girl's wedding at the White House. Then the whole next segment was spent on recapping prior girly weddings the White House has hosted. It was dull, dull, dull as dishwater, but I knew that in all probability, thousands of women around the country loved it. I just don't have that gene or something. I mean, I want things to be pretty, and will treasure the day and the mementos it leaves behind, and I do have to admit that there are some really formal dresses online that take my breath away. But I don't need them; I like looking at them, and wonder if I'd look pretty in them. I'm not, however, going to spend a thousand dollars on a dress for one freaking day of my life--this is not a moment I've dreamt of (walking down the aisle, I mean...not the getting-hitched part) or worn curtain-veils in preparation for. I'm glad to be getting married, for damned sure, but I'm just not a dream-wedding type of person.
  • I'm tired. Maybe I should go to bed at a reasonable hour.

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

i smile at you.

that's it. that's me comment.