Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Other things, and Sean

Kind of a non-day today. I woke up feeling increeeedibly cruddy, so I slept off my NyQuil PM and woke up at the leisurely hour of ten. I knew I might catch some crap for going into work, so I stayed home and puttered around. I'm still sick, but hopeful that tomorrow might be my last day of this (if, as Dad says, three days are common for these viruses). I finished cutting out the cards that were ready, went through all of the TONS of Superbad extras, and took a nap.

Tonight was Mariah Carey night on Idol, which sucked just as hard as I knew it would. David Cook and Jason Castro mixed it up good, but everyone else, as Simon put it, came from Karaoke Hell. I made dad's version of Sloppy Joes for dinner (Neil had four!), and we put the Cards on after Idol finished--which ended up as an awesome win against the Brewers. Neil and I put together several IKEA boxes while we watched, and the pile has lessened considerably.

We imported the photos that have been sitting in Neil's camera for some weeks, so I can finally put some photos of our new dragon here!

This first one was taken a few days after he got home, about 7 1/2 weeks old. His tummy is so flat here...it is rounded and cute now. :)



In my hand again in the last week or so. I love how he holds himself up with his forearms. Like Noah, he appears to me to have little muscles all up and down his legs.


I caught him in this cute little pose as he looked around for crickets one morning. His cage has a large twisty piece of driftwood for him to climb, a half-pipe of empty log for a hide object, and a flat rock-looking bowl in case he wants water (which is rare). His substrate has to be paper towels for the first six months, which disappointed me, as there are some incredibly fun and colorful sand substrates for sale that I'm dying to put in. So for now our bag of white sand is on deck in the storage bedroom.



I'd been wanting to do some photo-shoots of cricket-hunting, since I get such a kick out of the process. So for a few mornings last week, I clicked away. Here, Sean spies his prey.



This next photo I love. I was wanting a good action shot, but he darts around so fast that I can't hardly get a non-blurry photo. He crept up on Cricket, and his hand rose up so slowly that I was able to get it.




Unfortunately, the photo-story ends here. He stalked this cricket for a good five minutes, really learning how to walk slowly toward it instead of darting at it every which way with his tongue. It was fascinating to watch, but at one point Cricket escaped under the paper towels and I felt bad for our poor hardworking Sean, cheated out of one cricket from the thirty he'd been given, after having done such a good hunting job. So I put down the camera and took out his driftwood and log. Sean spotted his prey, and ended its life, immediately.


Coming soon:
The story of the Magic Razor

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

i'm sorry you felt ucky...

and impressive lizard-care lingo to go with the impressive lizard pics.

"Substrate"... whaa?

genevieve said...

Hee...I should have explained! When Neil started that word on me I had no idea either. Substrate is the material you put in the cage beneath everything, like cedar shavings for your gerbil, pine bedding for your snake, etc. So eventually Sean will have nice smooth dunes of colorful sand to poop on, but for now it has to be paper towels.

I've never had to do the word verification on her before, but I like what they gave me today:
"wffxvefe."

Like, "What the f***'s VEFE??"