Monday, April 28, 2008

A look back

The weekend is over. It's officially Monday morning, and the best thing about today is that I got a good time on the Monday NYTX (6:15). And I'm sure that will be the best thing about today.

Things I liked about the past two days:

1. Friday night was the kind of fun I haven't had often--an hours-long evening visiting/giggling with Amanda about her dog Oscar (who is so like Lily it's uncanny--yeah, my sister), Kathy Griffin (she talks about Dateline: To Catch a Predator! Boy Do I LOVE HER!!!), her friends' weddings (both good and bad), and old times. She signed me up for TheKnot and went through the checklist with me, unearthing dozens and dozens of things I had not even thought about. Boutonnieres for the men! Reception decorations! Cake for the week-after gathering! Videographers! A guest book! Parent gifts! For a small wedding, there is still a lot of stuff to think about.

2. Saturday I cleaned up the house good, which always feels satisfying. SarahBethJC was coming that evening, and I don't think I'd seen her since before Valentine's Day. We went first to Sophia's, but didn't feel like waiting 45 minutes for a table because the stupid bitches from RBHS were promming it up. (Plus, Sophia's always exaggerates their wait time. Everybody knows that.) We drove over to Macaroni Grill, waited like 15 minutes, and were sat in a cozy romantic 2-person booth. But we're comfortable in our sexuality so it was fine. We ordered a bottle of Asti Spumante, and while the waitress brought it over and was opening it, I said "When I served, I always hated when people ordered the bottle. I could never open it smoothly." And the chick was like "It's not so bad," and I mused "Yeah, my Mormon friend who doesn't drink, I think she got really used to it too from working at a Macaroni Grill" and the server was all "Dude, Beckie?" And I said "No, but her sister!" And she goes "Oh, I know Emily, and Noah!" It was so cute.

ANYWAY. SB was very good to answer all my questions about her wedding, and got down to business with her little pad and pen, asking me lots and lots of things about more I hadn't thought about. Candles in the schoolhouse, if we have the ceremony there! Flowers for the ceremony as decoration! Lingerie for the wedding night! A surprisingly good review of a local hotel, Stoney Creek, I thought was only known for the animal heads on its walls! What the weather would be that time of year (her wedding was 10/16)! That she'd seen plus-size models trying on dresses in the wedding shop she went to in Lebanon!

After, a little toasted, we went back to the apartment and played Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit with Neil until Sarah's Dylan got done with the Blue Man Group. So good to see dear Sarah.

3. Sunday was fairly uneventful. I got a few to-dos done, and went to visit Dad for a little while in the evening. I miss not seeing him all the time. We had a good chat over bean soup, and I left him to his PBS Life-in-an-airplane-carrier show. I stopped at Schnucks for some cutie clementines and Pudding Pops, and it was home again, home again, jiggity-jog.

Sean shed so much today--his whole back piece! He had a skin-cape almost all day long (I realize this sounds disgusting, but it was actually amusing).

Also, the weather was super weird. It was too cold for April 27th, but everything is getting in bloom so it looked normal for spring. When I went out at 6:30, the air had more of an autumn crispness about it, without the smoky, woodsy feel of fall. If someone were to plop me down in today's weather, blindfolded, after storing me in a windowless box for an unknown number of months, I would have no idea what season it was today.
Which is just a long way of saying that, again, it was weird weather.

Way past my bedtime now. I'm back on track tomorrow, with a vengeance!

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

so fun to read! i keel like i'm there with you... love the "minutiae". Seriously..