Thursday, April 24, 2008

There's a bright golden haze on the meaderr...

We have this cute little window alcove in our bedroom, and most mornings I block out the sun as much as possible trying to get every ounce of sleep I can. But this week, we had a singular sunny morning that I opened the window to. The view was so pretty and glittery and springy--I'm not usually one for sunny mornings (as you might have seen, I am a rainy-morning type o' gal), but our little window tree has sprouted with little greenies and now, recently, bloomed with tiny white flowers. They're not easily captured; they just look like little brightnesses on the tree from the sun. But I tried to get it:


I'm so charmed by the world this time of year. It only happens like 15 days annually, so I have to learn to appreciate it more by taking walks and opening windows. In 2007, we had a really late winter, and when I left for England in the beginning of May we hadn't had many really nice days yet. Then when I got back three weeks later--bam!--it was summer. I totally skipped spring. I was ticked.

So I was looking today at some Twilight movie info. I'm not sure I'll see it, but I'm interested to know its development and things. Anyway, the Cedric-Diggory/Edward dude talked about Meyer's work-in-progress, Midnight Sun, as if it were this well-known thing. 'Wha-huh??' I thought. They described it as Twilight from Edward's point of view--exactly what I hadn't known I wanted!! I read the 20-page sampler chapter on Meyer's website immejitly.

I must say it didn't exactly fulfill all my (admittedly short-lived) expectations. Maybe it's better left a mystery, for me. Don't get me wrong--I'll read it as soon as it comes out, and I'm glad she's doing it. But I was disappointed by a few elements (for example, that Edward's attraction to Bella is not felt when he first encounters her--the love part, not the bloodlust part). It would be like getting all the HP books from Dumbledore's point of view, sort of. I don't need to know it, to understand the story, and perhaps part of the delicious torture of these books is imagining Edward's state of mind rather than having it all spelled out.

Off to tackle the Friday NYTX. Normally this doesn't go well.

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

pretty pic.. really catches the serene morning mood.
and i see the flowers.