Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Atari



I found this (okay, I didn't *find* it. My daily "Unshelved" library e-mailed comic artist told us about it) and was totally fooled for the first few. It reminds me of a lot of the artwork I'm dealing with as we throw out box after box after box of all the old 1970s-1980s Educational materials...I never owned an Atari 2600 (I don't think, anyway...we had one but it didn't have games like this. Just Frogger and Q-Bert and stuff. We also had a Bally, which I won in the Big Mystery Surprise Box at Ridgeway Funday one year), but I get the gist of these. A few of my favorites:
This dude is h-o-t. The glasses, the almost-combover, the head-in-hands confidence...it's all working for him.



Didn't we all have this joyous of expressions playing that weird "Turtle" command game on the Apple during summer school 1985?




Love the flowy head-scarf. Everyone in our elementary-school level textbook illustrations had long hippy hair flowing perfectly in the breeze, animated to appear as if it were only one piece of a big flow of hair. And perfect lips.


Warning: Profanity ahead. I don't usually use this word here, but I'm making an exception because it made me laugh.

Good stuff. Makes me want to find "Lemonade Stand," or "Oregon Trail," or "Carmen Sandiago." Or just Pong.

No comments: