Thursday, April 28, 2011

Social Wednesday/Ouchie Thursday

Wednesday, I got to sleep in a tiny bit (almost 8 hours! WOOO) and Neil dropped me off at Ellis for an RDA workshop (gag). (It's a new controversial system of cataloging.) Thus began my Surprisingly Social day.

I figured I'd know some fellow catalogers in the workshop, so I wasn't that surprised to see my former boss Corrie as we were looking for the workshop room. Then, it was pleasant to see fellow SISLT student Geoff, but not exactly a shocker since he works at Ellis as well.

Walking down the steps before lunch, I ran into my former Special Collections boss Karen, with her little ubiquitous bag of McD's. I then had an awkward, self-conscious lunch at the student union surrounded by hundreds of frat boys and skinny-jeaned/short-shorted sororstitutes...I HATE being the oldest person in a crowd...and, ironically because it's where I would have welcomed company the most, no social encounters there.

Neil came at the end of my lunch break to begin his work shift, so I got a little sugar there, and then it was back upstairs for the final segment of the workshop. I even made a new grumpy cataloger friend!

My instinct after these things is always to duck and run, but since I had to run an errand on campus, I stuck around until Neil was finished at around five. I went to Special Collections first, and had a freaking grand time with Karen, Erin, Kelli, the new Grad Asst (Amy, I think?), and especially my dear Alla, who looked tiny and stunning as usual. It even smelled good there...like old books. Familiar.

I then walked over to Clark Hall, and stopped at a table inside to catch my breath and regroup (I am SO out of shape, y'all). I glanced over at the O.T. student slouched on the couch area, and....it was Tina! Really good to see her again. I hadn't really talked to her in over a year, I think. We chatted about boys and brothers, and she said her class had watched some video put on by past O.T. students, and it starred my mama and dad! Tina said she was crying because she'd never heard Mom's voice before, and I remembered what an effect her voice had on me at the funeral when Kirsten played a radio interview Mom had given some years before.

Next on my list was to give Star/Shannon her Mamma Mia tickets, so I went up to the 7th floor after bypassing my old Center for Distance and Independent Study on the 1st...I was in a social mood, and should have dropped by to at least give Ellen a hug, but I was already running really late, so I didn't. Also I am not good with people.

Shannon was, as expected, star-studded, and after chatting for a minute, I took off. I walked uphill back to Ellis, panting and out of breath by the time I climbed the west entrance steps, to find Neil waiting and ready to go. My feet killed, so he went to get the car and picked me up.

This morning, Thursday, I expected my feet to hurt. They don't, much (except the constant nagging pain of the stress fracture or something that's on the top/side of my left foot), but my calves are burnin'! I really haven't been exercising much lately, I guess. I've been burning calories, but I wonder if it's just not enough. A few walks across part of campus never used to be enough to make me need to sit down and rest.

Not a whole lot of sleep last night (6 hours), so I'm taking a yoga-mat nap here in a few. Today's accessories: blue starry beaded bracelet, Lucky moon and stars necklaces, crazy blue drop earrings, Irresistible Apple Bath and Body Works perfume.

And tomorrow, we're headed to KC for a fun weekend! I bid super cheap on Priceline and got a ridiculous deal on that fancy Hyatt at the Crown Center. Whee!

My molar hurts when I eat sweet things sometimes. I worry that it is a cavity.

1 comment:

LilBear said...

Oh, you are so chipper about being social. I can't believe it! I only have accidentally social days like that when I am wearing no makeup and scrubby clothes with Something Mysterious slimed on my pants right around toddler head level. And I'm in a big hurry. I wish I could have more social happy accidents!
Have fun in KC. Jealous!