Friday, March 14, 2008

What a great series...

I can't wait for baseball to start up again, so I checked out a Cards DVD from DBRL, one of...seven, I think, that include all the games leading up to their Series win in 2006. I'm sitting here while it's sorta background noise and sorta the mainstage show, reminiscent of so many warm evenings like this in previous years. There's something about the silence of baseball that doesn't happen in any other sport (and no, golf doesn't count. That's not a damned sport), and makes for a pleasant evening no matter what's happening onscreen. It's sad to see Eckstein and Edmonds and Rolen play so well when they'll be gone this season, and all the red Spiezio stick-on goatees in the audience. But I'm glad this set of DVDs is out there. If I ever see it cheap, I'm gonna get it. For now, I'll settle for the free rental, piddling around doing my NYTX (it's Saturday, so I'll never mind the distraction), listening to Joe Buck's dulcet tones, and knowing in just a few short weeks the Cards will be back for another go. (And I love watching Yadi in his therapist-mode when a pitcher isn't doing very well. I like to think that's a part of the reason they cast people as catchers. "He squats like his thighs are made of iron, Bob, but lemme ask you this: does he give a good comforting bottom-slap?")







The goods for today:
1. Just submitted the Saturday NYTX. And it wasn't terrible! This was definitely my best Saturday ever--completed a whole corner and a lot of one half before going to Google/Wiki. It always surprises me that if you keep at it, answers will come to you even if you glossed over them the first time with a "huh?" or a "I don't even know what that word means." I learned that from Dad, I think--don't stop just because you think you don't know any more. This one had all kinds of clever clues like "Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli" and "Football coaching figures" [GAYICONS and XSANDOS]...and who wouldn't smile at "'Family Ties' family"? Makes me want to bump up Season 3 on the ol' Netflix queue.
2. Worked extra-long at work to make up for next Friday. Not a bad day there.
3. The weather was gorgeous as I left work--over 60 and flip-flops abounded (not mine, after yesterday's betrayal. But my windows were open).
4. The P.O. gave me some hope for Steve's refund. I'm not going to trust anything they say yet, but at least it sounds better.
5. We watched a couple of "Freaks and Geeks" with our Taco Bell, and people pop up on almost every episode that we know from somewhere else. It's very satisfying to realize where I know them, or find them online and solve the mystery.

No comments: