Sunday, March 9, 2008

Anne of Green Stupids


I can't get enough of the Anne-girl, so on my Netflix list are several DVDs of different versions of her story, animated, live-action, anything my search produced. It is *such* a pleasant, mellow, perfectly musically scored tale, and it charms my socks off every time. So I was excited to get my first one the other day.

But here it is, on as background noise, because they have turned my adorable L.M. Montgomery journey into a fracking action-adventure story, with an evil orphanage owner, a talking squirrel, and a hot air balloon with a settee instead of a basket. It is pure sacrilege. And, mercifully, almost over. I haven't yet been able to stop watching a DVD, as I have finally been able to put aside a book I am not liking, but that's only really because it can so easily be "watched" in the background while I do other useful things (like bitch about it online, I guess).

It sounds like Rachel Lynde's voice is the same as the quintessential PBS actress', and they have clearly modeled Matthew after Richard Farnsworth, but the similarities end there. She's even pals with Gilbert. GARRGGHYHHHHHHRGHGH!!!

I think I'm going to bust out the steamer while "The 1940s House" is playing after this wretchedness is over.

No comments: