Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This, that. License plates.



Why do car owners feel this is a good idea? I was driving to work this morning when a light green GT passed me, with the license plate "GT2005". The car was clearly marked as a GT in other places, and even I, possessing minimal auto knowledge, can see that it was a newish model. So why klunk me on the head with a license plate label that only makes you look like a complete tool? You're spending extra dollars every year to put something entirely redundant on your car, a space that could be put otherwise to very good use. I prefer plates like mine, that people might have to look at for a second before they get, then give a little chuckle when they figure it out. Some may opt for the initials oeuvre for sentimental reasons, or to tag their car as theirs if Jack has the exact same car as his wife Eileen. Sports teams (or high school mascots: "QP FROG" represent) are fine and dandy if that's your passion. Pretentious though it may be, I was wholly impressed by the "ERUDYT" plate I saw tooling around town a few years ago.

But come on. "HUMMER" on your Hummer? "RT TURBO" on your Stealth R/T Turbo? "MY FORD" on your Ford? I know it's yours.

I do admit that this type of plate has been done well, on exactly one occasion. Years ago, in Illinois or something, I saw a Odyssey minivan with the plate "ILIAD."

No good: Gas in Columbia went over the $3.00 mark yesterday, to $3.09/gallon. We held off for so long!

No comments: