Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 5

Day 05 → Something you hope to do in your life.

Lately...I want to live in or near a big city.

Chicago, Seattle, NYC, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco...Cincinnati (took me three tries to spell that), Portland, Charleston, Baltimore, Kansas City....

I miss NYC so badly it aches, and I didn't take nearly enough advantage of living near Chicago to visit the city very much. Other cities I've only visited, but crave a return.

Columbia is so wonderful, of course, with its charming cultural offerings and splash parks and gardens with schoolhouses and the fact that everything's ten minutes away from everything else. $360/month two-bedroom apartments, Christmas tree farms, pumpkin patches, wineries, running into folks I know at the grocery store every time I go, local theatre. And, best of all, Dad & co. are a five-minute drive away from me.

But...I want LIFE. I want to spend a whirlwind day downtown and see everything in the world. To take Neil to see a splashy musical without worrying if Columbia Entertainment Company will screw it up (again). To have friends visit and be able to show them an exciting place. To discover secrets, like the Museum of Moving Images in Astoria. To have a choice of endless Thai and Indian restaurants. To rely on public transportation and people-watch every commute instead of navigating around the construction on Highway 63.

In less than two years, we'll most likely embark on a new adventure...and I hope it's to a big city. Or somewhere we can take the train to a big city whenever we want. I'll be a cataloger at a public library, Neil will be a science librarian, and we'll spend our weekends exploring (okay, realistically, VEGGING, but maybe one Saturday a month...?) the new world around us.

1 comment:

LilBear said...

Oh, I am so there with you! It's great that you acknowledge everything that is awesome about CoMo, but there is just something about the big city... We've thrown the possibility of NYC and SanFran around, but it's just not in the cards at the moment. Can't wait to see where your adventures take you! Move somewhere awesome so I can come visit!