Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 2


Day 02 → Something you love about yourself.

I've never done this before. I've extolled my virtues on various dating sites and job interviews, but this is very different. And love...that is such a strong word. I *like* many things I can think of...my new shortish hair/ban
gs, my boobs on occasion, my good skin.

But what do I *love*? Is this the same as 'being egotistical about,' do you think? My knowledge of the English languag
e? My ability to kick all asses in the game of Set?

...I don't think so. I feel good about those things, but...they're innate. I don't know if I apprecia
te them as much as I should. I blatantly look down on those who *don't* have a good handle on English (as many of us do). Somehow that doesn't seem like LOVE to me.

This morning, I finished the audiobook disc I was on (Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex. Cutest book cover EVER), and felt the urge to dance. I reached for the cd-holder, knowing that what I wanted and needed would be right on top. There it was...my little homemade Adam Lam
bert disc, scratched from many, many uses. I put the disc in, set it to random, and went into another world.

Now, I'm not a music person. I resist new music. I haaaaaate when someone says "Hey, come here, I want to play this song for you." I am resentful and bitter the whole time. I feel held hostage. Like they are interrupting my life for three minutes and expect my full attention, I guess? I don't know. I know it's stupid, though. And I know people are only wanting me to experience what they feel about the song. I am getting better about this with Neil, and as we get to know one another better and better, he's getting to know what sort of songs my picky self really likes...AND how to play them for me more organically. So it's not just me standing there seething with anger.

But...when I *do* find music I like, I'm like anyone else. I can't get enough of it. And with my recent desire to get into drum-playing, and my constant urge to dance to music I'm listening to, even at work, I know I have good rhythm.

So right now...that's what I love. I feel free, and high (I think....drug-free for life and all), and alive, and I love that I can dance, and it can make me go from Grumpy to Fabulous in a minute flat. I feel confident and sexy and even talented, like I have something inside that needs to be explored.

I guess this is kind of a weird answer. I feel weird about it, anyway. But at this moment, it's what I love.



P.S. The cover
of Bonk. Something else I love!








3 comments:

LilBear said...

I don't think it's weird at all. I think I love it. I think I love that you are doing this 30 days thing, because I am learning all kinds of things about you that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. You know I love music, but I can't dance at all. I am painfully aware of that, therefore I never ever do. But I so envy people who can, and especially those who can with confidence.

Also... drum playing? That is extraordinarily awesome. Are you taking lessons?

genevieve said...

Thanks, Linz. :) I'm loving yours, too!

I've looked into drum lessons, and found a guy in town with whom I'll probably take them eventually. Money got tight so it's on hold for now, but I'm so excited about doing that someday...

Shannon said...

what's this? new hair? i must see! at least text me a picture or something!