Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 12

Day 12 → Something you never get compliments on.

Ha! This is kind of 'feel-sorry-for-meeeeee,' isn't it?

With the fantastic people I surround myself with, I don't know if there's much I *never* get complimented on. Which puts the last question into a whole new perspective for me....when looking at it now, I do get called funny, and smart, and nice, and interesting...and rarely enough so that it makes me feel really special when I do. That's why I limit the amount of effort I spend primping myself...if I wore makeup/jewelry/fancy clothes every day, that's how I'd be perceived all the time...and I want to make an impression when I get gussied up. I work with people who paint on their faces every morning...who meticulously pick out their wardrobe and look stunning on a daily basis. And it's totally expected of them. If they came in one day looking frumpy and un-made-up, people would ask them if they're not feeling well. I guess I want the freedom to look like crap and not be questioned. :) (Although, attending Grinnell for four years was an exercise in how frumpy one could look at all times.)

So...something I never get complimented on. This is hard, because I have an ironclad memory. So I'm looking at my fingernails: "No, the nail ladies at the manicure place before my wedding said they were pretty"...my back: "No, that one skeevy guy in college (Shannon: Joe M.) who rubbed it at every chance said it looked strong...my feet: "No, that girl Melissa from when I worked at the university in 2001 said they looked tiny" et cetera, et cetera.

Got it! Got it. Nothing against hairy girls, but I like the fact that I don't have much hair on my arms, eyebrows, legs, and I'll stop right there. What hair I do have is fairly light-colored, and I don't have to pay much attention to overgrowth (except for, you know, normal areas in the shower. I am trying not to get too personal here). While I've gotten complimented on my nice complexion and smooth-after-shaving skin, no one has ever said "Man, your arm hair is really sparse and blond. Nice!"

But you know, I *have* felt people's arm-skin when they don't have any hair there naturally, and that is pretty amazing-feeling. So maybe it's because I'm kind of halfway between hairy and hairless there that it doesn't get noticed much.



This was a weird entry.


.

No comments: