Thursday, February 28, 2008

You must be tired from running through my mind all day...

  • "Hopelessly Devoted to You"--Seriously, Alaina, just shut up. You and your gap. "My food piles can't touch each other! Aren't I adorable?!"
  • Amy just wrote and said they're meeting on Tuesday night, so I should get the book picked up and read by then. I just started Specials last night and need to read Twilight since it's on hold...this is beginning to be a chore, this leisure reading. Specials isn't bad so far--I found I was losing myself in the nonstop action and each chapter propelled me into the next one at full-speed. Finally I'm seeing remnants of what I loved so much about Uglies. I still don't think I can feasibly (and enjoyably) read three books by Tuesday, though. Not with my other reading goals of emptying the Trib bag and catching up on EWs.

  • Tonight is Idol elimination. Neil and I both think it will be Skunk (Jason Yeager) and Robbie Carrico, though he wouldn't complain if Danny Noriega left. I think he's funny and he grated me less than last week, plus Steve saw him in Brookstone with Ramiele. We disagree slightly on the girls--I say Amanda and Alaina, Neil says Amanda and Kady (update: he just e-mailed and said Amanda and Alexandrea). With such a below-average week, it's anybody's guess, I think. Amanda was horrid, though.
  • Oh, cute: "Forget About the Boy" is on! I fell asleep at the Fox when Dad, Joe, and I went to see "Millie" there, but this song is so cute. I 'specially love when they say "Ha-lay-loo." Why those good-for-nothings! They cut the song short for "The Lonely Goatherd"! I guess it fits though...one "Ha-lay-loo" for a "Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo."

  • Just came across this strip on an Oxford classmate's blog...LOVE it:

About this time in 2000, Mom, Steve, Patty and I were headed to NYC for my very first visit there. It was truly magical, and I'm so grateful that Mom was thoughtful enough to include me on the trip (ostensibly because I didn't get a fancy trip on my 16th birthday).

It was just perfect. That breathless moment seeing the lights of the city across the water driving in from JFK...

...marvelling at the NYC-bags-o-trash with Patty

...checking into our adorable little hotel just off Times Square, with the cozy and homey breakfast area downstairs

...visiting the Today Show set that very night, too excited to go to bed, where Steve worked his charm to get us into the actual indoor set

...the next morning, frigid and rainy, waiting outside of the same set to see Riverdance and get on TV (we left after a couple of hours)

...going on the cheesy-but-informative NBC Experience tour the next day (they let us sit in the SNL stadium seats!

...walking around the NYU area and stumbling upon the cutest, funniest shops on side streets, that I was never again able to find

...seeing a different musical each night ("Jekyll and Hyde" with Jack Wagner, "Chicago" with Mr. Carossi himself, Ernie Sabella, and the reason for the trip, Steve's buddy Tim Shew as Jean Valjean in "Les Mis." He left great tickets for us at the box office, met us after the show, and took us backstage. He offered Steve some used mic batteries, but I believe that was turned down)

...laughing at virtually everything that came out of Patty's mouth (Signs were everywhere saying "Honk only when in danger" or something, but of course cabbies honk just as regularly as they step on the gas, so every time we heard honking Patty would say in a nervous voice, "Danger!")

...watching Steve-O and Patty re-enact musical scenes as we walked around the city ("West Side" and "Singin' in the Rain")

...our dee-lish lunch at Hard Rock Cafe with the waitress that the boys went gaga over

...walking around Central Park (it must have been temperate, as my outerwear consisted only of my "Fall into the Gap, a'ight" green jacket)

...going to Times Square late at night with the boys where Steve chased down a nervous black-market watch dealer in search of a fake Rolex, then returning to the room and spying on a prostitute from their window (and I believe Patty threw pennies at the building across the street)

...eating & people-watching at HoJo's in Times Square, where some cheese from his cheeseburger migrated onto a fry and Patty said, pleasantly surprised, "Free cheese fry!"

..."buying" TGIFriday's flair like crazy at souvenir shops, including a Taxicab-themed suspender set for that blond girl who liked hippos (I believe I also purchased my Macy's propeller-topped beanie on this trip)

...blatantly standing underneath the "NO standing or stopping" signs posted everywhere

...Mom getting nervous about the flight home, so the bartender at the airport put her Bloody Mary into a to-go coffee cup so she could take it with her...

Without a doubt, the most fun trip I've ever taken. Thanks, mama.

No comments: