Monday, February 25, 2008

What a sickly, busy weekend!

I didn't get nearly enough done this weekend, yet I never really lazily sat about doing nothing either (unless you count the two episodes of "90210" I watched, "Party Fish" Saturday and "Summer Storm" Sunday, after Neil went to bed). Two days off always sounds like such a vast amount of time all through the week, but then it goes by in a flash. I was so busy yesterday with errands and Oscar preparations that it didn't seem like a weekend day at all.

But, our little get-together was a good time. I made coleslaw and sugar cookies during the day, and decorated the cookies with icing-writers (like little paintbrushes--not icing--much, much harder than it sounds, like too-soft watercolor brushes with not enough paint on them) to take over, in between studying my EW for my picks. (I lost big time last year after relying on this same prediction, but since I didn't do research online like I have in the past, I had to hurry it up.) I went over to Dad's a little before six to set up, and Dad was making turkey, mashed potatoes, country peas, and crescent rolls. I put out the M&M's bingo, ballots, and Hollywood-themed napkins and plates (still kicking after 3 Oscar parties now!), and got to work on the wall decor. It wouldn't be as fancy as years past--the film-reel tinsel garland and the little swirly shiny hangy decorations were left in the bag, as was the 'red carpet'--had to choose my battles since I didn't plan too well and was still feeling rotten. So the cardboard painted Oscar dad made went up, near the TV, and the Jon-Stewart-on Marilyn's-head posters were tacked up, one by the TV and one on the front door. It was just going to be Brad and Amanda as guests, so I felt it was an okay year for skimping.

And it was a good night. Jon Stewart did great (though I think Dad's right when he says he's a little too edgy for the Academy; Ellen was a much safer choice) and there were no really shocking surprises--unless you count the fact that Ingmar Bergman may have gotten more applause during the death montage (always my favorite!) than Heath Ledger, and Brad Renfro wasn't even included. We thought of a good game for next year: name as many people as you can who'll make an appearance there. Because you totally forgot who died, don't you?


Braden won M&Ms bingo, scoring two tins of Altoids, and *I* won the pool! Amanda and Brad bought in with a $10 Culver's gift certificate, and Neil didn't have cash so Dad fronted him $5, so really what I got was $5 and a trip to Culver's. I haven't won in like 2 years though!

Cookie quiz that I made (any film on the Oscar ballot is eligible):

1. Green pine trees with an arrow pointing "in" them

2. Face with an eye missing

3. "XII"

4. A yellow directional device

5. The letters "USA" with a red line through it (Neil's!)

6. A stick figure of a girl with an arrow pointed outward

7. A big red droplet, with an arrow pointed at it

8. A [shaky] drawing of a certain frigid state, with a star marked as its capital, and an arrow pointed at the star

9. Two mountains with an arrow pointing at the space between them labelled "Elah's"

10. A yellow king's headpiece

11. A plain cookie with "SURF" written at the very top

12. An unmarked clock with the hands pointing to a midafternoon time

Answers:
1. Into the Wild
2. I'm Not There
3. Twelve
4. The Golden Compass
5. No Country [for old men]
6. Away From Her
7. There Will be Blood
8. Juneau [juno]--this one was my personal favorite
9. In the Valley of Elah
10. La Corona
11. Surf's Up
12. 3:10 to Yuma

No comments: