Friday, February 22, 2008

Various Things

1. I like finding anagrams. I'm not one of those wordsmiths who see a person's name and immediately think about what anagrams they can make of them, but I like stumbling upon them--like prenatal and parental, which is even better because it makes sense that they have the same letters. I fear that if I begin actively looking for them, it will become an OCD thing and I'll never stop, and every word I see will have to be anagrammatized, much like how in my younger days I had to count syllables until they ended in a multiple of five. I made imaginary five-pointed stars for most of my adolescent reading life, counting syllables.

2. I'm really good at Kakuro. I wonder if there's a competition somewhere that I could earn $250 at or something. And Set. Is there money in this? (Although Joe seems to be as good. Damn that kid.)

3. I love that there are misplaced-apostrophe blogs around. I haven't proofread a play program with Dad in a long time. That was fun, especially in Macon where business owners generally don't have a degree (in English or otherwise) and their ads provided excellent, more than ample pre-show entertainment.

4. I struggle with what I can handle in stage musicals. My opinions are, I'm the first to admit, hypocritical. I *know* boys snapping in time while unironically jete-ing around NYC should be cheesy, but why does it just look beautiful to me, and/or hot, while I cannot stand the condescension (and cheesiness) of the narrator's knowing smile all through Joseph and the Stupid Coat? Could it be that I truly can tell the difference between a well-made musical and a poorly written one? I can only trust my own passion for the show. Is there a logical reason why I still watch Oklahoma when it descends upon the midwest every few years, and get caught up in the o-k-l-a-h-o-m-a spelling at the end just as much as I always did, or see Fiddler each of the three dozen times my siblings are in it and still get choked up at Do You Love Me? (and good lord, I was sobbing like a baby during Kirk's ridiculous turn as Tevye on Gilmore) yet could probably never sit through A Chorus Line again?

No comments: