Tuesday, February 19, 2008

More things, good and bad

Bad:
I couldn't find the Tabasco sauce, which is required to make a cheap Totino's Pizza Night into a feast!

Good:
Totino's pizza, in any form, is better than no Totino's pizza. Where else can a dollar buy you such magnificence? (And don't throw that Dollar Menu crap at me. It isn't a pizza.)

Bad:
That Leif Garrett kid's performance on "Idol."

Good:
David Archuleta, as I knew he would be. And the Blue Springs, MO kid singing one of my favorite makes-me-cheery songs, "Happy Together," in an unexpected rocker-y way.

Bad:
I am so, so far behind in my Entertainment Weekly reading. It's becoming a chore. I seriously just finished the What to Watch section about this great new "American Gladiators" show "coming soon" to NBC. I have to read every bit of it (except the music part--that, I skim), and I need to work things out with myself to let it stay unread, and even thrown out partially unread. But it just seems like such a waste of money to do that! I have a Star Clipper bag full of Tribunes, a big green box full of New Yorkers, Janes, and Grinnell magazines, a shelf of unread scrapbooking magazines, Real Simples, and now Organize....and all I want to do is reread Laura Ingalls Wilder and go to bed.

Good:
Um. February is over half gone?


Off to try my hand at Wednesday's NYTXword. They have to cut us a break here. But you can be sure you'll be hearing from me if they don't.

Just thought of another Good:
The NYT games site has online Set now! It's not as good as the real thing, of course; cards aren't eliminated and quick thinking really doesn't come into play, which is my specialty. But it's still gnarly.

More goods:

1. My Nina Ricci perfume. It's supposed to smell like apples and toffee. But I don't give a diggety-damn what it resembles. I love it, no matter what.

2. Building up my hardcover Lemony Snicket collection via PBS. I could have done so much with this site through the years had I known about it sooner! And I like seeing Mom's spiritual-healing books go to homes of women who I know will love them (and who will love not spending tons of money on them). I also (finally!) got the Welcome to Junior's cookbook I've had my eye on for years. If I actually use it in the near future is another question, but for now it's orange and white striped, even the page-block!

3. I got a new combination lock today, of letters! That I can custom-make the solution word to! It was totally easy to fix up--the hardest part was getting the damned hard-plastic-no-perforated-opening packaging off. Haven't enough people complained about this? Why haven't they stopped doing it?

And a bad:
They said we would get a break today. 40 degrees, they said, followed by 5 days of miserable-ness, but 40 today for sure! It never got above 16. Damn you, Eric Aldrich. Damn you to hell!


Okay, bedtime. I was so exhausted after the day today that I know I have to get as much sleep as I can. NYTX went all right--finished a bunch, and when I was stumped I didn't just give up, but kept going and filled in a bit more. I still didn't get totally done, but at least I persevered a bit more than I would have another day.

P.S. Do all little kids do this? When I was a youngster, I had to press every drink-type button down on the McDonald's cups, push my finger through every bit of plastic covering the toilet paper tubes on a new package of TP, peel anything peeling as much off as I could (wallpaper, plastic coating on schoolbooks, loose skin)...is this a disorder? I think my mama liked to press bruises. Could it stem from that?

No comments: