Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I ate a vegetable! (Well, a fruit.)

I tried ground turkey in the Hamburger Helper tonight, and for my helping cut up a full (small) tomato and put it in there for a little extra zing. I can't wait for tomatoes to come in season again.

I didn't swim today. My cold got the better of me and my head felt so heavy that I took off after 4 hours of work and went home to sleep. It really rejuvenated me--enough so I made cupcakes tonight with buttercream-PB icing. My first-ever attempt!

It wasn't a great day at work either. I felt like my boss was grumpy. It always surprises me when normally cheery or pleasant people have grumpy days...usually I don't even realize it until later and I think "Good lord, what the hell kind of stick was up their ass today?" That's why I find it so funny/cute whenever BFF Emily warns me that her blood sugar is low and needs to eat soon, and that she's getting grumpy. I *never* see it. Maybe I don't see it because her warning makes me prepare for the worst (i.e., ME when I'm grouchy) and so when she says something like "I'm getting a little tired of waiting for a table" with a quiet sigh, that's maybe her version of bad-mood-speak, quite different than my own. Anyway, I'm glad I was feeling under the weather all day at work, because I don't think Boss' ickiness even registered in my muddled head, til I got home, got some sleep, and realized later what a bitch she had been.


The 2-hour "Idol" tonight was all 12 girls, a night that always drags, because...well, girls are boring singers. I think they think since they have more of a vocal range, they can stand there and sing and they're giving a good show based on vocals alone, and don't even try to mix it up with different arrangements (and if they do, it's always slower than the original). I love Amanda, the rocker/nurse, because she just totally gives no shit about the judge's comments or the crowd's cheers or anything. She is truly in this to see if she can get a record deal, and could not give a damn about the accompanying fame or kissing anyone's ass. I love it. It seems like she stands up there and listens to the judges because she's supposed to, but gives only the obligatory "thanks" after their gushings. I like that she doesn't sit there like a fool holding up four fingers in an alternative or cutesy way to beg people to call and vote for her...she knows if she was liked, they'll call, and she doesn't need to pull out the pouty/cutes "It's my birfday tomorrow, Ryan, and I'd love to stay here as my birthday present! Also some shoes."

I guess life is pretty slow and dull right now. As much as I try and shake things up with vows to get out of debt, stay on a workout schedule, read and toss all serials in the house, eat better, do scrapbook projects, start purging our home of all the extras, earn more money by putting things on eBay, and keep the house sparkling, all I manage to do is do a bunch of surface cleaning (so it looks good, but don't eat off the kitchen floor), rearrange boxes only when it's convenient (like as I searched for Valentine's Day decorations last week), let the newspapers pile up higher in their little bag every week, and eat one tomato.

No comments: