Thursday, May 15, 2008

What a mundane title...

I was looking through our digital guide tonight after a super-duper kick-ass "Office" season finale, and had to look twice at the very....calm program title on PBS. The Food Network would never stoop to such bland phraseology:


Gimme a break. "Sandwiches That You Will Like"?? Where's the "You'll Go Nuts Over These Hoagies"...""Sandwiches So Good You'll Cry"..."May I Interest You In A Filet Mignon, Monsieur? No Thanks, I'll Just Take A Meatball Sub"....you know?

Anyway, a survey, because I like 'em. And I hope to make a really killer one someday. And it was really fun to find my sociology homework from senior year at HHS and see about a million personal surveys Ms. Hechler had us fill out.

1. Are you wearing a hat?

No, pretty much never. Baseball cap on a rare occasion.

2. Bottled water: yes or no?

Aw hell yeah! No tap for me.

3. Do you have a crush on someone right now?

Nah. After Keith Urban married Nicole, his appeal was never the same. And I love my Neil too much to have a crush on him (Neil), you know?--although I did have one on him, when I first saw his photo.

4. What kind of laptop do you have?

It is an iBook G4.

5. Do you prefer writing in pen or pencil?

Oh, pen. I am not too much a pencil girl. Way too many junior high notes were lost forever that way.

6. Who was the last text message in your phone from?

Neil telling me he was heading home.

7. What’s your favorite season?

Autumn. Fall. Whichever. April/May comes in a close second.

8. Does your best friend have a boyfriend or girlfriend?

Well....she has a husband. Does that count?

9. Do you like them?

Yes, the minute I met him.

10. Favorite radio station?

I guess BXR, 102.3. But I mainly listen to books in the car.

11. Type your name into Google. What’s the first link that pops up?

I typed in "Genevieve Dawson"....aw, boring. An ad for "Classmates.com." The first one that lists a site that actually refers to me (in a more interesting way) is...the 8th listing. A quote I gave to the Columbia Missourian about an exhibit I put together in Ellis featuring all our miniature books.

12. What’s your favorite song at the moment?

Hm. Well, "And So It Goes."

13. Coke or Pepsi?

Pepsi, but I like Coke too. But Pepsi with Lime...mmmm.

14. Favorite subject in school?

In library school--reader's advisory or cataloging. In regular school--theatre tech.

15. Last concert?

Oh jeebus. Um. The Dr. Zhivegas? Summer or fall 2006? Wow.

16. Next concert?

We're seeing POISON in StL in August! WOO WOOOOOOO!

17. Last magazine you bought?

I bought "Figure" at B&N this past...Friday? Saturday? Something. Neil bought "Wired."

18. Last book you read?

Just finished We Thought You Would Be Prettier by Laurie Notaro. Currently listening to A Light in the Window by Jan Karon (#2 in the Mitford Years series--got hooked during reader's advisory last year) and reading My Life in France by Julia Child.

19. Do you prefer cats or dogs?

Dogs dogs dogs. Not only am I allergic to cats, but they're too mean. And they smell. Dogs do too, but they generally like to be outside where their smell dissipates.

20. Is there someone you want to punch right now?

Kinda. But I'll settle for her just leaving me be.

21. Favorite sports team?

StL Cardinals.

22. State you most want to visit?

My answer is twofold.

That I've been to before: New York. To see Cooperstown and, of course, see new & old things I love in the city.

Never been to: Hawaii. Cliche, yeah.

23. Are you a MySpace addict?

No, I Facebook. And I'm much less of an addict than I was even two weeks ago. It bothers me that people add you as their friends even if you would Not Say Hello To Them On The Street.

24. When do you shower?

It used to be mornings, but now it's nights, because I get up with Neil now and I get to sleep in more, and we don't have to prearrange our shower times.

25. What’s your dream job?

Mm, I pretty much have it. I'd like to freelance copyedit on the side, though.

26. What kind of car do you drive?

It's a 2007 Toyota Corolla. Cactus Pearl. (NOT the color I ordered.)

27. What word in the dictionary best describes you?

Brent W. called me mellow once, and I was all "Yeah! I WANT to be MELLOW!" It's probably more like "difficult," though. I'm trying to be better.

28. What’s your blog address?

Well, you're here, so just look up.

29. Worst TV show at the moment?

Ooh, good one. Next. Parental Control. Flavor of Love. Anything on TLC. Stuff about guys drinking their own pee. Adult cartoons, except Family Guy. (King of the Hill, I'm talking to you.)

30. Are you a better talker or better listener?

Probably talker. But I like to listen, too.

31. Do you care about who wins the election?

Definitely. But I can't promise I'll vote, so I'm a hypocrite.

32. Who was the most popular kid in your 7th grade class?

Oh, her name was Jennifer. She had long crunchy brown hair. She was bitchy, with perfectly curled bangs, tight-rolled Outback jeans, Ralph Lauren preppy shirts, and sterling white Keds. I can find my junior high yearbook to get her last name, later. I'll know her immediately. She wasn't really even that pretty.

Boy-wise, Jamie Scholten, probably. We were partners in art class and we painted each other, and I thought mine of him was good.

33. Are you afraid of ghosts?

Sort of. I am in movies, yes. And I could psych myself out easily if I set my mind to it.

34. Is there something lacking in your life right now?

No more than a good credit history! (I didn't put 'mom,' because she's never lacking from my life in an emotional sense.)

35. What do you miss most about childhood?

Going outside to play on a summer's evening, knowing there would be neighborhood kids everywhere to frolic with.

36. How many times did it take you to pass your drivers test?

TWICE. Ugh. The second time, I pulled into the church parking lot, and the lady said "You passed, but you almost failed." I got like a 71 or something, and I was all "I DON'T CARE, WOOOOOOOO!" Emily came with me and we drove all over town and got breakfast sandwiches when I was done.

37. How many kids do you want?

I don't know if we'll have any. I love my friends' kids, but we want many years of alone-together-ness. It's not a decision that can't be reconsidered, but that's where we are now.

38. Are you a good liar?

I don't think I am. I try not to lie at all anymore.

39. Can you cook?

I'm learning. I don't generally try things I don't know will work out.

40. Are you a cheapskate?

In a good way, yes. I virtually never pay full retail price for anything. But I don't skimp on gifts or eating out or anything like that either.

41. What would you do with a million dollars?

Pay off debt, to creditors, loans, and Dad. Buy a house for us, and pay off Dad's. Furnish our home exactly how we've dreamed. Buy extravagant gifts for everyone we love. Book a trip to Hawaii in February. Every February.

42. Have you been to Disney World?

No. Doubt I ever will. No appeal. And I do not do roller coasters.

43. How much time do you spend online a week?

I'm not obsessed, but it's certainly hours a day.

44. Last time you went bowling?

The 14th of never? I bet the last time I went, and actually bowled, was....maybe at Grinnell, junior year? Before that, Girl Scouts, 6th grade?

45. Hot or cold weather?

Sigh. Neither. I would have always said "cold," but lately that's becoming so, so, so tiresome.

46. How many pairs of shoes do you have?

I don't know, 40-50? I get a lot of flip-flops.

47. Are you a shop-a-holic?

In some ways, but as we both become more responsible with money it's easier to resist.

48. Where were you yesterday morning at 10:30?

Working at Stephens, on our bindery project. Picking out old magazines to take home.

49. Are you afraid of the dentist?

Yeah. I have a very sensitive gag reflex. Also, I have these calcium deposits in the bottom of my mouth, under my tongue, so those x-ray strips they make you bite into cuts into my skin and makes me bleed. And I always forget and wear my hair up when I go, so I'm laying on this big mound of ponytailed hair the whole time.

50. Were you bored or entertained by this survey?

I think I made it more entertaining than it was. If I'm honest. :)

No comments: