Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Not a bad day...

I mean, it wasn't spectacular, but it was definitely pleasant.

Things I liked about today:
  • The Cardinals are kicking some butt once again, with Ankiel continuing his reign as New Hero. We're currently at 6-2 with two men on, top of the ninth. Ankiel might be my Eckstein-substitute.
  • I finished the Wednesday NYTX with absolutely no help--possibly a first for a Wednesday. I may finish most of it, but usually have one or two squares to either google or look at someone's blog/screenshot for. It was certainly fortunate that I was able to rattle off "Town in Central Missouri" with only the "L-I" in place--I'm betting not a lot of NYTX workers know about Sedalia. The rest was baseball themed, with another Missouri reference: Musial's 6 and Gibson's 45 (Cardinal numbers). That felt awesome!
  • Neil & I took another twilight pet-store trip, to get crickets and look for backgrounds. I love warm nights so.
  • I swam/walked against the river for 51 minutes in my new black suit
  • Work flew by, as it is wont to do these days. Only 3.5 weeks until I'm free for the summer! (Not that my job is hard-core.)
  • I knocked out several to-do list items today, and plan to complete one or two more before bed tonight.
  • I'm on the second-to-last disc of this confounded Lipstick Jungle. I just don't love it at all. One could say it's told in flashback, but not in a lateral way like Life of Pi. It goes "Wendy sat in her office and blah blah blah movie business is hard and blah blah thought about what happened last week when she and Shane decided to get a divorce." Then the narrative flashes back to the events in question, and flashes forward within the flashback to a subsequent event, but still not back to Wendy in her office. When it eventually does get back to her, I'm so confused as to what time it actually is. And it isn't just once in awhile. I swear, every scene has some sort of flashback, and it's gotten to the point where I sigh and force myself to remember where we actually are in the present, so I can try not to lose track again. I'm also not enjoying We Thought You Would be Prettier, which I've been trying to finish for more than a month. After such a run of great reads, it's disappointing to be in the middle of two that I really don't care about--though I'm enjoying them enough to finish them off after getting through this much of them. And next I'm obligated to read the Julia Child book, because this book club wants to meet soon to discuss it.
  • BUT, I am loving the Virtual Bookshelf on my Facebook page. I get a kick out of the leaderboards.
  • I totes just found that song in the commercial that's so lovely: "Daydream" by Wallace Collection. It's like that old "Little April Showers" Disney tune crossed with a romantic Lawrence Welk number mixed with a touch of cheese. If you can imagine.

P.S. Why can't blogger underline? Or offer better fonts? Or larger letters? Other blog companies do.
P.P.S. Why is the Colorado Rockies mascot a cartoony Triceratops?

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

I'm with you on the no underlines thing...

And I'd LOVE to see a pic of Bruce's twins, if you have a way to show me... ?

word verification: lgadz. Like e'gads. Kinda.