Thursday, May 8, 2008

What a Long, Wet Week It's Been.



...and only Thursday yet. Blargh! Why is it even with my abbreviated schedule that the work week seems so long? It's not like four hours a day is torture; most of the time it's almost noon before I know it and I can head out. I don't know; I think I just don't like routine; getting up every morning at the same time, going to work, going to swim, coming home and catching up on little things. Even though it's very low-stress, I'm restless for the summer to begin so I can really get my hands into the big projects around the house.


And I'm probably also getting tired of the gray rainy skies. I do generally like rain, especially gray mornings, but I think I need a little sunlight to see that everything's pretty and green and sparkly, then go back to the gray for a little bit. I saw the end of this TV movie once when I was really little, at the Diggs' house. All these kids were living on some planet where the sun never shone and it was always gray, and at the end, the sun came out and everyone was happy or whatever. It was sooooo depressing--I think because even at that young age (5 or 6) I hated the sun shining over a wet environment (like when the sun comes out after a quick rain). And maybe I realized that however soothing I found gray weather, I didn't want it all the time. Ugh, that movie sucked. And whenever we have constant rain for days like this, it reminds me of how it was for most of the time I spent in England last year--when you have to walk outside everywhere, even for meals, you are never fully dry. Ever. It got so bad in Bath that Neil & I were stuck inside our B&B room for almost a whole day. I guess the English don't really have the same de-humidifying systems inside that we must have, because every time I put on my fleece, it was damp. Even if I hadn't worn it for hours and hours.


I did okay on today's NYTX. These days, I'm often getting the long themed clues (for all but Friday-Saturday puzzles), but not the little fill, which isn't as satisfying as I thought. I hate when I can't get the big long clues (and usually the most clever parts of the puzzle), but I've found that when I have everything but one or two squares, I'm even more irate. Like, I'm almost there, guys. Come on.


I can't swim today because the urchins are infiltrating the pool with their pee and shouting, so it's Wal-Mart after work, with my FitFlops. I still don't know if these shoes are just a big scam. I wish someone would cut them open to see if there really is a WobbleBoard inside.


I hope I get a lot done this afternoon.

P.S. I just saw a headline that read, at first glance, "Former pedestrian struck and killed on Loop." And I thought "Hm. Well, yeah."

(Then I looked again and read "Report: Pedestrian struck and killed on Loop.")

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

#1. love the picture you put at the top

#2. WHAT is the deal with those shoes? A hoverboard? I'm intrigued.

#3. Funny misread...

#4. Sad I didn't have the chance to join you at the gardens...

Peeser said...

Hi, Genny!

I know exactly what you mean by too much rain... I really do enjoy rainy days in general, but not three days in a row. I like to break it up with bright sunshiny clarity to keep the clouds from being too oppressive... (plus,those kinds of days are far too conducive to napping which, while nice, are NOT conducive to the work I have to do in this end-of-the-year crunch...)