Thursday, September 1, 2011

Life Listed, Feb. 15-Mar 2

What would make a perfect date?

A mild summer night, theatre, a swingy dress, my man's hiney lookin' fine in nice pants, wine, driving in the dark, getting taken care of, treating ourselves, self-portraits, holding hands, laughing, fingernail polish, eyeliner, dessert, snuggles, hotel room, kisses against a car (I don't know, it's a thing for me), adventuring, not worrying about prices, enjoyable sighs, benches, a waterfront, smiles, learning new things, sharing food, naughty glances...I love dates. :)

What cool features would be in your dream house?

A scrap room for me with a Scrapbox and a (forgive the overuse of the term) man-cave for Neil; indoor swimming pool (Endless Pool FTW!); a large kitchen with an island you can comfortably gather/sit at; two fridges (with filtered water dispenser) and a deep freezer; a large garage; warmed bathroom floors; a hot tub; a deep whirlpool tub; red set of washer/dryers; plenty of accessible storage; a finished basement; a huge master bedroom you can fit a settee in; strong-water-flowing showers; indirect lighting like the Cloisters room at Nelson-Atkins; good ventilation so the windows can be opened when it's nice out; a wraparound porch with Adirondack seating and weatherproof pillows; a tiny toy Yorkie and a huge Great Dane who both adore us and each other; that one Crate and Barrel rug that's like $1100; a library with built-in custom shelving and a rolling ladder like in Music Man; warm colors in the kitchen (golds, reds, oranges, coppers); somewhere to display our Fiestaware; the ability to USE my Kitchenaid; a glass and red blender; a wall of glass; a guest bedroom; a step-down living room with cushy leather seating and two recliners; a Christmas room where I keep everything, and space to move it to when IT'S TIME; a Cali king sleigh bed (do those even exist?); a Shipping and Wrapping center; soft dining-table seating....OK, I could go on forever. But that's what Pinterest is for, am I right?

Who are the people you call most frequently?

I am SO not a phone-person. But Emily is, and Lily is, so I call them most. I talk to Neil a lot despite both of our aversions to the phone, and Dad too. Sometimes Gilbert and Sarah M., and OCCASIONALLY Lindsay if I'm going to die if we don't talk soon since it can't be discussed digitally or something. :) Grandma a few times a year...Joe and Steve, of course. Roger sometimes.

How late did you stay up each evening this week!

You guys, I am totally making a turnaround!! I take my Trazodone at 9 PM each night, which makes me ding-dong tired, and by 10 I can't keep my eyes open. I *can* push bedtime til 11, but mostly I'm asleep by then. it's been great!!

Where are your favorite places to get ice cream?

I'm sure I'll be condemned for saying this, but I'm not CRAZY for ice cream. I definitely like it, and if folks are getting it, I am totally in! But I don't know that I'd ever choose it over, say, a brownie. or a cupcake. Yeah, no, I never would. :) I enjoy it a lot if it has tons of crap in it--like gooey hot fudge (NOT Hershey's syrup. Gack!) or real swirls of peanut butter or Tax Crunch at Baskin Robbins--but am fairly uninterested in plain ice cream. Mint chocolate chip is about as 'vanilla' as I get. That said, though...my answers are Baskin-Robbins, Central Dairy, Shakes Frozen Custard, or a gelato stand. Pinkberry was okay, but I like Lollicup Tea's toppings better.

What are the best food dishes that you can make?

Rum cake, but you better like it strong. Crock-potted roast (apple cider vinegar is the key. Totally breaks it down). Totino's pizza with Tabasco all over it--does that count? I have the timing in the oven down to a freaking SCIENCE. Neil has said he likes when I marinate chicken and grill it, but I've developed an extreme aversion to raw chicken so I can't do that anymore. Bran muffins. I doctor up Hamburger Helper all the time with beans and tomatoes and onions and stuff...but...that may not count either. I've tried to make almost every dish of Dad's that I love at home (green salad, baked potato yogurt sauce, deviled eggs) but I can't do them right. It's not that I'm an awful cook...I just don't really like to do it. And if I had a large luxurious kitchen, I'm definitely willing to try!

What would you have on your own custom postage stamps?

Book covers. Vintage-like.

What are things you should never say in an interview?

This is weird for a list question. It's almost like a quiz question. Weren't these drilled into every single one of us in college/graduate school?
-"I didn't like my last job because..."
-"Do you guys get to wear jeans here?"
-"I don't work well with people."
-"My greatest fault? I'm totally lazy. like astronomical."
-"I'm wanting to work here just for a couple months until I get a real job."
-*chomp chomp* [gum]

What is your idea of an ideal mate?

Kind. Funny. Snuggly. Kissy. Dependable. Intelligent. Tall. Unskinny. Facial hair. Understanding. Patient. Nonjudgmental. Great smile. Attractive. Fun.

What do you love for breakfast?

Grandma's/Mom's warm cinnamon rolls JUST out of the oven. These are NOT big gigantic hard wastes of dough, people. They are skinny long rolls bursting with butter, sugar, and cinnamon in every millimeter. Served only at Thanksgiving and Christmas breakfasts. Often with maple sausage, cold milk, and Tropicana OJ. Heaven. Also: Dad's omelettes, any Dawson scrambling eggs, Applesauce bread from the Farmer's Market, Mom's Monkey Bread, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Blueberry Muffin Tops cereal, Egg McMuffin with sausage, McGriddles, biscuits and gravy, this one kind of breakfast burrito NO ONE sells anymore but it doesn't have anything nasty like onions or peppers in it, McD's steak/egg/cheese bagel, and a tall glass of icy cherry Pepsi--preferably without ice. Just ice-cold.

What songs would you like played at your wedding if it were today?

I always wanted to dance with Daddy to "Sunrise, Sunset." Or with my new husband to "The Way You Look Tonight." Blame "Father of the Bride" for that one. :) Oh, and some dance numbers, for sure...NKOTB, You're the One That I Want, Cha-Cha Slide, Cotton Eye Joe (just for the Electric Slide), Total Eclipse of the Heart....oh, now it's getting to be a PARTAY!!!!

What places would you like to live?

I'd love to try living IN Chicago...on Wacker in one of those awesome apartments the family walked by one Oscars Sunday. Near enough to NYC to take a day trip there one weekend a month. The Pacific NW...Portland or Seattle. San Diego or up near San Fran. The desert. Bath, UK. Madison, WI if it weren't so damn cold. The Villages, FL--in the winter. :)


What are the best compliments you've ever received?

When people say I'm funny, it is the best feeling ever. Ever! But it also chokes me up when they say I'm nice, because I'm really super hard working on that side of myself. Also when they say I smell good or look pretty. Or when I've lost weight, if they notice. If they like my jewelry or hair. We were at a restaurant and I finished ordering and the waitress said "You have good taste!" and I was like "Wowie! THANKS!" so I guess I like that too. Oh, and when people say I'm a good gift-giver! I love that because I put a lot of effort into gifts. (Shannon--you are hands down the best complimenter-friend on earth!! I feel so good about myself when you're in my life!!)


OK, last one for today....

What makes you smile?

Um, see above? Other than that....my Neil's smile. Sophie and Livi videos. Noah and Lucy's huge grins. Babies dressed up in funny costumes, or in formal stuff like bowties and shiny shoes. Little tiny dogs. GREAT BIG FLOPPY DOGS. My brother Steve's incredibly contagious laughter. Dates with my sister. Playing cards as a family. David Eckstein and Yadi. A performance that leaves me breathless. Anne of Green Gables. The opening to Golden Girls--the airplane against that sunset. My craft room. Presents (especially in the mail). Neil's pinky fingers and tummy.


4 comments:

Julina said...

I'm with you on most of the dream home features (I'm not a hot tub person, and more of a cool colors girl, and my dream library is Belle's in Beauty and the Beast, but other than that...)

The breakfast foods made my dinner seem kind of paltry - I'd love to taste the cinnamon rolls.

And I'm with you on the compliments one, too... not that I've gotten the same ones (well, some of the same ones. "Nice" comes up a lot, but only makes me feel good if it doesn't seem like a cop-out compliment - otherwise it just makes me think of the witch in Into the Woods singing with a sneer - "you're so nice, you're not bad, you're not good, you're just nice...")

I like your lists (and no, I'm not just trying to suck up :) and wish you as much of the good things on them as is healthy for you... have a great day!

genevieve said...

Ha! Juli, I love that--I never thought about the Into the Woods song, but you're totally right! Maybe I should change that to "kind" or "thoughtful"...

Shannon said...

You make complimenting easy, darling. You make me feel happy inside, and I would hate if I didn't tell you.

Julina said...

Follow-up on "nice" - tone of voice/situation makes all the difference!

i.e.: yearbook message="Into the Woods" witch (either that or they really don't know me, which may be worse... I hated yearbook time...)

Family/close friend/first grader=awesome!