Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Life Listed, Mar.14 - Mar.31

What junk food did you eat this weekend?

Cupcakes. :) A small sea-salt brownie. Soda and fast food (hey, I was traveling). Dewey's pizza.

What holidays do you enjoy most and how do you celebrate them?

I love holidays, so I'm just going to list them in order.

January 1st--Mama and Lily's birthday. We gather at the homestead for gifts and a toast, Dad makes dinner and cake, and it's a quiet family night.
Valentine's Day--I like to make a big deal out of it, even if I'm not romantically attached. Everyone deserves love!!
St. Patrick's Day--Green beer bread!
Easter--some kind of fancy meat at Family Dinner, and Dad hides plastic eggs with money inside of them all over.
Mother's Day--Family dinner and a toast for Mama!
My birthday--Family dinner, Texas sheet cake, and Art in the Park gifts ALL FOR ME!! This year, I got a massage, which is a tradition I shall most definitely continue.
Father's Day--Family dinner, gifties--generally a joint affair with Jobie's birthday.
Independence Day--Fireworks from the big tents...many illegal, but we try not to make it too loud. Lily hates them and Mom was always scared of them. Dinner outside, then fight the traffic to watch the fireworks from the top of the parking garage.
Labor Day--Family dinner, this year with Lori Smarty!
Halloween--I'm very careful about channel-surfing. I love all the trappings of Halloween, but I generally don't participate. I think the last time I dressed up was when I was in law school. I donned my TGIFriday's uniform.
Thanksgiving--Cinnamon rolls for breakfast, then Lil and Dad cook all day and we have an early-ish dinner followed by games. Generally we're joined by the Parshalls.
Christmas Eve--best day ever!! Dinner out, ride around looking at Christmas lights, spiked egg nog and last-minute gift wrapping by the tree with Christmas Story playing all evening.
Christmas--Cinnamon rolls, presents...naptime for all but Lil and Dad, the cookers...then a big dinner with the Parshalls and games. A LOT like Thanksgiving.
New Year's Eve--not much, usually. If Neil stays up we'll kiss, of course, and some years I work on resolutions. Sometimes it's just an evening of reflection.

What are your favorite comic book characters?

Charlie Brown.

Do you have recurring dreams? What happens in them?

I don't like when people talk about their dreams, but I'll do this one anyway.

I'm lost on Grinnell's campus and can't find the dorm room I want to get to.
I don't have my locker combination and I HAVE to get in my locker.
The semester is almost over and I kept skipping this class I should have gone to. I even realize in the dream that I've graduated, but for some reason I kept going with school.
I'm completely in the weeds waiting tables at Friday's.
My significant other is cheating on me and being cruel about it.

What lies have you told this week?

Wow! Crazy one. Hmmmmm. Honestly I can't remember...I've been in a chipper mood for awhile now, so even if someone asks me how I am and I say "Good!" I definitely mean it. OH! I know. I just called my chiropractor's office and told them I wouldn't be coming in this week because I was picking Neil up from work even though he told me yesterday he'd be walking home while the weather is nice. Really I just didn't want to go see the chiropractor because I have my doubts that he really helps with my back pain, and I just want to go straight home after work.

What languages would you like to learn?

Spanish, I guess. But I don't really care if I do or not. Maybe see if I can pick up French again? There was a time when I did love it.

What were your first words as a baby?

HORSE.

[i was a pretty awesome baby.]

What places would you travel to if you could go back in time?

I'd meet Laura Ingalls, both while she was a kid on the prairie and after she became a successful [co-]author. So....DeSmet and Rocky Ridge Farm in Missouri. I'd like to see how the 50s were in Columbia. Or NYC. Or New Madrid.

Who are your favorite musical groups and/or artists?

Abba. Adam Lambert. NKOTB. George Michael. Poison. Paul Simon, and sometimes Garfunkel. Britney's fascinating and danceable, and if I didn't put her in here, I'd have to scroll up to the "what lies have you told this week?" and say I didn't list her. Peter, Paul, and Mary. More, I know, but that's what I can think of for now.

Who are your best friends?

Lindsay, Emily, Sarah M., Sarah I., Lily, Joe, Steve, Dad, Shannon....and Neil. :)

What are your favorite movie quotes?

First of all--Jackie and I used to send each other quote notes several times a week. So I'm embarrassingly well-versed in this area. I don't go quoting stuff like a loser, though.
Anything from Young Guns or Young Guns II--what junior high memories!! Also anything from When Harry Met Sally. Princess Bride, of course...I think that movie was made for the quotes. Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire (we had a THANG for Emilio).

Which are your favorite decades of music?

90s, then 80s.

What sports did you or do you play?

Soccer, softball, volleyball, swimming, skiing, kneeboarding. FOUR SQUARE, yo.

What are your 'most recent' favorite songs?

Taio Cruz, Dynamite and Break Your Heart...Jason DeRulo, Ridin Solo...SOME Katy Perry, and SOME Gaga if she isn't trying too hard...The Golden Age...Black Keys, Tighten Up and Next Girl

If your house was on fire and you could grab only 5 things before leaving, what would they be?

My husband!...my tablet...my phone...my car keys...am I wearing my glasses? Those, if I'm not.

My sentimental self would choose Neil, my big box of photos, my Genevieve's Jolly Postman book, Mama's pastels, and our wedding sand art.

One more for today!

What are your favorite cartoons?

Monchichi/Snorks/Gummi Bears, though it's been 30 years since I've seen them and they might be interminable now. Same with Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, Scooby Doo, and He-Man. But I can ALWAYS watch a Peanuts holiday special, particularly the older ones. I can always watch a Garfield holiday special. Sleeping Beauty and Mickey Mouse. Anything Christmassy and cartoony, as long as it's not dark. Little Mermaid.

1 comment:

LilBear said...

Please may I be adopted by your family? I have major holiday envy. I love love holidays but it seems like a lot of work to decorate and make a big deal of them only for myself.