Sunday, March 8, 2009

MARCH on in, sir!

That was a CHEESY title. Wow.

Things are still chugging along here, made easier by the early-onset Spring that brings the temps up to almost 70 most of the past week. I don't remember a winter this mild in recent years, and am looking forward to more days of No Socks, nice-smelling air, and breezy nights sitting outside.

I am at a loss for writing-inspiration today, probably because nothing really earth-shaking has been going on. My schedule is the same, my to-do list grows ever longer, my attitude is hopeful.

I did get a new Rant phone last night--whoopee! I can even watch TV on it, once our Everything plan kicks in later this month. I have never been that interested in technological innovations, so while everyone's all excited about the iPhone apps and picture mail and accessing Facebook from their non-wireless hotel in Podunk, Nebraska, I've just never seen the appeal. That's not to say I don't get ANY enjoyment out of computer/TV progressions, but I've always been happy not to change things up too often. I still don't like talking on my cell phone, especially versus a land-line phone that doesn't get hot or cuts out or doesn't conform to your head. (If I could communicate entirely via writing, I would. And technological innovations HAVE helped that instinct.)

I hated giving up my ancient silver flip-phone over two years ago, because it had the perfect little pearl-drop ringtone that was so quiet and pleasing and everyone would say "Oh! Is that your RING?! That is so nice!" I got used to it, you know? And now I can't find it anymore (and have NEVER been able to figure out how to make new ringtones go to my phone despite investing about $5 in a few), so every time my phone rings now, I have to think for a minute before realizing it's mine. I LIKE CONSISTENT RINGS, dangit!! The first thing I did was check this new phone's ring tones for anything similar, but...nope. I want one that's not too abrasive, but also one with a non-continuous ring...like, one that more imitates a home-phone ring. When a ring is continuous, like a song, I feel frantic trying to answer it. At least with a landline ring, you know you have a few seconds in between rings.

But now I have a keyboard with rubbery letters, and a pretty red number-pad, and GPS, and TV channels that are easy to get to. The awesome lady at the Sprint store last night showed me how it worked, and I got all the latest news on how much Jason Mesnick pays his ex-wife for child support. So timely!


Okay, I've decided I need some structure. I need a jumping-off point. And these are good for that. I feel like writing, I just don't feel like thinking too much.

1. I wish I could.....
be in a place where my heart doesn't skip a beat each time the phone rings
2. My biggest fear is....
death...of anyone close
3. I hate to.....
feel out of control
4. I love....
coming home.
5. Today I will....
follow many of my pseudo-Lenten promises
6. Yesterday I .....
watched our funny lizard try and climb our screen door before I went to work
7. My hair is....
never to my liking. Always annoying.
8. I will never...
live somewhere I don't really like.

Now for more procrastination!

Sunday Stealing: The Procrastination Tool Meme
1. What is your favorite sit-down restaurant?

Hm. This one so depends on my mood, but if we're talking ambiance/environment, I'll pick Dharma Blue in Pensacola, followed by Sophia's, Macaroni Grill for the smell of the brick ovens, and India's Kitchen for the food.

2. What food could you eat for 2 weeks straight and not get sick of it?

Dad's salad, Olive Garden salad, or Sophia's Caesar salad. I think anything else heavier would get really old.

3. Have you ever had anything removed from your body?

Nope, I am extraction-free!

4. What is the last heavy item you lifted?

I brought our massage-chair thing out to the car last week with the intentions of taking it into my Jeff City work, but I was never motivated again to take it actually IN to work. So it's still in the car.

5. Have you ever been knocked unconscious?

No, but Tasha Utterback kicked me in the stomach when I was little. I remember being alternately astounded that she did it and feeling a weird not-quite-pain-but-definitely-not-comfortable sensation.

6. If it were possible, would you want to know the day you were going to die?

Probably not.

7. If you could change your name, what would you change it to?

When I was little, I would have chosen Alexandra or Veronica or something glamorous. I always liked "Kate" or "Katie," but not Katherine.

8. What’s your goal for the year?

For the year? Wow. Um, let's say, pay off some debts.

9. Last person you hugged?

I hugged Neil this morning!

10. First place you went this morning?

To the bathroom. Outside of home, I drove to Stephens for work.

11. Do you always answer your phone?

Nope. And never when it's a number I don't recognize.

12. It’s four in the morning and you get a text message, who is it?

Lily or Steve, telling me about some celebrity they just had a conversation with. Well, not so much Lily anymore, as there is a dearth of celebrities in CoMo.

13. If you could change your eye color what would it be?

All green. None of this hazel junk.

14. What’s on your wish list for your birthday?

Rent tickets. That is ALL I WANT. And they WON'T GO ON SALE! I have been checking and CHECKING!!

15. Does the future make you more nervous or excited?

Both...

16. Do you have any saved texts?

Not consciously, I guess. But I don't delete them. I used to write down every one Neil would send me, though.

17. Ever been in a car wreck?

Yes, I rear-ended another car in a rainstorm in Iowa. On the way to a scrapbook store. What a terrible day!

18. Do you have an accent?

No, although I get one after spending too much time in New Madrid.

19. What was the last song to make you cry?

Hmm....it's been awhile. I really don't remember.
I know it was when I was driving home from JC, though. Some love song.

20. What did you do last night?

Got a new phone, ate Taco Bell, watched Neil unwrap some new toys, watched Lie To Me, and went to bed.

21. Have you ever felt like you hit rock bottom?

I think I have felt like it, but I know compared to other people, I have never been close. I mean, I never really lack for any basic need. And I'm not, nor have I ever or will I ever, be involved in substance abuse which I have seen causes people to hit that level.

22. Current hate right now?

My weight. My schedule. The fact that I can't fix everything.

23. Met someone who changed your life?

Of course!

24. How did you bring in the New Year?

Sitting with Mary and Emily, in Em's apartment, gabbing about boys and religion and clothes. It was very cute and girly.

25. What song represents you?

I'm not a real song-person. I don't dislike them, by any means, I just don't get as into music as most people do. I don't know that I can really name a song off the top of my head that represents me, although there are many that while listening to them, I can identify with. If I even take the time to think about the lyrics, which I don't do that often.



This post was kinda lame and all over the place, wasn't it? Sorry. :) Not much to say on this weirdly dreary/sunny, warmish Sunday.

2 comments:

LilBear said...

I didn't think it was lame, and I find much comfort knowing that I am not the only one who does not really like talking on the cel phone. I love my iPhone because it lets me communicate in text and email, basically further sparing me from actually having to answer it. Which is kind of a strange reason to like a phone.

Also I bet you lived in Iowa long enough to be considered accent-having down here. I pick mine back up when my folks are in town and people really notice!

"dirnit" ! BEST ever! Like a little swear!

Emily S. said...

not lame! Thoroughly enjoyable!

And if my time at the computer wasn't at a premium these days, I'd go do one of these tags myself...

Alas, I only get small windows anymore, and currently, Noah is riveted by Sesame Street... Which will only last another minute or two before he'll get bored...

Ah. Life.

Love you!