Thursday, March 12, 2009

A little bit of nothing.

I just finished a dee-LISH serving of Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi.



I remember when I was little, I could never finish a can of soda. Ever. I bet I was in my late teens before I could. So now, when I get those last few drops of my can of diet soda each morning, I feel totally proud. Like I FINALLY made it to the end!



I don't usually drink caffeine in the afternoon, but I forgot to have my standard morning pick-me-up today, as it was a super-busy day at work, and when I began to droop a half hour ago I thought "Hey! I didn't have one this morning, AND I get to sleep in tomorrow until 7:15! Bring on the stimulants!"



Tomorrow's a weird day: instead of Jeff City work, I have all-day training in this MOTHER of a depressing facility in Columbia. But, I don't mind it so much, because it's from 9-4:30 (with an hour for lunch)...and it's 15 minutes away, rather than 45, so I get to have a leisurely lay-in with my snuggiekins. And I get home an hour early...and even earlier if they're quick with the training packet. I hope I get a fast-talker! I will not deny, though, that the training itself will probably be dull as dishwater and drag on slower than a Friday afternoon usually does.







I worked out a plan today to fast-track snowball our debt plan. I'm so excited about it! It may mean a few lean months, but it will also mean paying off debts that make our months lean in the first place...and I don't expect to get too far within a few months, either. I know that'll take time. But the idea gets my brain all whirry and positive-thinking, and who can't use that every now and again?







What does "see you in the funny papers" mean? Literally, I mean. I could see how it *might* mean "see you in the morning paper, because the funnies are there" but it always confused me as a child, because there were only two days when we got a morning paper--Saturday and Sunday. The Trib's an evening edition, son! Why would Dad want me to not see him until around 4 PM, when the papers are usually delivered? I never knew.







I get so sad when pens run out. Even if I don't have any concrete attachment to them...maybe they're the one in my pen cup I always reach for because I know it's consistent black ink and it won't smear or get all on the side of my hand. Nothing fancy, just a Bic or a Papermate, minding its own business, but I've used it too much. It's my fault. And now it has to go.


*chuk* into the wastebasket.








I think there are two kinds of people in this world. Those who wish everything could be controlled by the mouse (or maybe they just don't care either way), and those who love a keyboard shortcut. I fall solidly in the latter category. I will hold down up to FOUR keys if it'll get me where I want to go. I thought, at one point, I'd never be able to remember all the shortcuts...because, of course, they're not universal. But for the cataloging module I use most, at both works, I find new ones all the time. And I am pleased as punch each time I do.



(P.S. Pleased as PUNCH? What is that?)


This is what I got when I Google-image searched "pleased as punch." It's weird.

The house looks like a glove and the tree looks like hair.

And please don't get me started on floating drop-down menus. I cannot stand those. By the time I've finally reached my destination, my mouse has moved just a little from the menu, and I have to start all over again. And I'm ticked, now, because I didn't like using my mouse in the first place. Our State Library website is all floating drop-downs. And since I'm still getting to know it, and it COMPLETELY SUCKS (nothing is intuitive to find, nothing!), I have to use the menu kind of often.

However, I only missed two letters on today's NYTX! With no help from Google or Rex, either! Thursdays are inevitably where I start giving in to IMDB and Wiki searches, but I sailed right on through it. Go me! (I see now it's been rated as an "Easy-Medium" by Rex, so that douses me with a little cold water. But I refuse to believe I am anything less than a damned GENIUS.)

(Okay, a genius who can't get past Thursday NYT crosswords.)

(And also who reads only chick-lit and YA novels.)

I'm reading "Lost and Found" now, which I thought was just going to be a silly take on "The Amazing Race" in quick-read form, but it's more interesting than that, so far. I am concurrently (though not at the same MOMENTS) listening to Harry Potter 5, by far my least favorite of the seven. Even Stephen Fry can't get me interested. I'm almost done; all that freaking MESS in the Department of Mysteries is over, and Dumbledore is telling Harry the truth about everything. Which really makes me sad. Because Harry's acting all jerky and mad and throwing things and yelling at poor sweet old Dumbledore, but really inside you know he's just crumbling and doesn't want to think about what just happened. So actually, this is a good part. But it was preceded by hours and HOURS of running around and stunning spells and weird tentacled brains and Bellatrix shrieking and rotating rooms and blue candles and smashing shelves and fluttering veils and Death Eaters and suddenly the Order comes but I don't know why or how or why they didn't come earlier, and I don't understand why we never knew Neville's birthday is the same as Harry's because Rowling seems to be all ABOUT hinting at future developments...and it was, frankly, torture to commute back and forth forcing myself to listen through all the confusion and stupidness...but I had to, and I know it'll get much, much, much better. I only ever read seven (as opposed to listening to it), and I only read it once, but I was breathless the whole time, and I can't wait to get to it again.

I was burned, a little, because four was SO good, and it seemed like it took her forEVER to release five, and it was so deliciously blue and huge and gorgeous, and everyone bought it the second it was released, and I was so impressed because I preordered it through Overstock.com months in advance for like ten bucks and whatever cheap shipping, and it arrived the MORNING of its release all pretty and new, and I read it immediately and...and...and....

It sucked.

So six came, and I was so much less excited. I was working at DBRL, and my co-worker sidled up to me as soon as it was pre-released in the catalog, so we could put our names on the reserve list and get a copy from the first batch that circulated. (By the time the day arrived, that list was hundreds and hundreds of names long--I think we got 30 or 40 copies, but most people had to wait awhile before reading it.) So I didn't even purchase book six!

Six kicked five's butt, though.

But that's another story.

(Do you get it? Another Story? It really is ANOTHER STORY!)

Cataloging awaits; I must flee.


2 comments:

LilBear said...

Yup, the series lost me at 5 and I never went back. Now I feel like I need to start all over. I could have done it in the past 2 months, but I didn't and for that I have no excuse.

Oh, ye of the keyboard shortcut. Dan is that way too, but I am a mouser, and while I am mousing Dan is over my shoulder going, "You know if you hold down ctrl-alt-f9-w-shift-;-esc you could have gone straight to that menu." And I'm all, "Oh," because you can't argue with the keyboard shortcut people, as they aren't wrong, just wound a little tight. In a good way, of course. :)

If that is what being pleased as punch looks like, I will pass. Creepy.

"abityl" sounds like a prescription drug that would be advertised on tv with an absurd list of side effects. "Use Abityl under supervision of your physician, as Abityl may cause blurred vision, cramps, sudden heart stoppage, or a hairy tongue. Rarely Abityl results in excessive sweating, heart palpitations, bleeding eyes, elbow rash, and halitosis."

Peeser said...

You know, you suck. All the talk of Harry Potter makes me want to go back and re-read them yet again! (Okay, you really don't suck...)
Yeah, despite the long list of books I want to read that I haven't read yet, I still go back and re-read ones I think are great. And, despite the suckiness of the Order of the Phoenix, I still read it, too. It is still, by far, my least favorite, too, (mostly because I deal with obnoxious teenage angst every day- I don't really want to have to read about it, even if it is supposed to make the story believable), but the more I have read it, the more I find pockets of golden wisdom or meaning that help make the other messes of the book more bearable...
(Book six definitely kicked five's butt- six and three are still my favorites, though one and seven come in as close seconds...)

Congrats on the NYTX- I usually don't touch those because they frustrate me so... despite my love of words, even my love of crosswords, I don't like feeling utterly stupid when I know I am not... thus, I leave it to the true geniuses (i.e. you ;) to do those super-hard crosswords...

I am not as advanced as you with the keyboard shortcuts, but I also favor them to using the mouse for every little thing. I especially get weirdly frustrated when I see someone spend all the effort the move the mouse a few millimeters when the tab button would have been far more efficient... (maybe that is one of their 101 ways to burn a few extra calories before summer is here)

As weird as it is, I thought the picture of "pleased as punch" was very intriguing, perhaps even a bit whimsical and charming. I'm trying to find colorful artwork to help my students find stories- you know, the idea that every picture tells a story- I want to help my students see that and practice finding and writing at least a little of the story they see- I may have to use this picture...

And I think "see you in the funny papers" means you are either hilarious (if it is intended to be a compliment) or that your humor is not appreciated (if it is meant sarcastically)... something along those lines, anyway...

Um, I think that is all for now. I figured, I haven't commented in a while, so I'd bombard you with a nice, epic comment full of that Lambson verbosity we are all known for.

Spring is fiinally here; Spring Break is coming up for me, and I am totally looking forward to a week of relaxation and reading (and perhaps a little cleaning...)

Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!