Tuesday, October 21, 2008

We Did It! (Part two.)

First of all, I just completed the Wednesday NYTX in under ten minutes! I rawk.

Second, for a minute I made this thing underline, without using html! What did I do??

Anyway.

Saturday dawned gorgeously sunny, perfect...it was like the weather had to get the gray and wetly cold week out of its system just to make sure Saturday would be good. I woke at 9 AM, determined to get a jump on the day with a shower before driving Joe and Steve over to the Lambsons' for singing practice. I went to the upstairs shower, set out my spanking-new Dove Go Fresh lemongrass body wash (yum!), and looked around for the shampoo.

No shampoo. It was downstairs in that shower, and I knew exactly what kind it was: moisture-rich Tresemme, for dry and damaged hair. And I knew exactly what it would do to my hair, too, since mine is neither dry nor damaged: it would make it feel like I hadn't washed it in days. Awesome. No one else was up, either, and I knew Dad was probably doing yoga or something in his room.

So I did the sensible thing and broke down until Steve heard me crying and got up to offer to drive to Walgreen's for something that would work. I felt so stupid and helpless...I was letting the wrong shampoo ruin my morning! I was seeing myself turn into the bridezilla they make shows on WE (Women's Entertainment) about. An hour later, though, sitting around the kitchen with my glorious fambly (with my hair, incidentally, squeaky clean), Dad voiced what I needed to hear: it wasn't about the shampoo. It was about me finally letting go of the stresses and the frustrations of the last few days, and the shampoo was the catalyst.

I packed up what I'd need for the next few hours, and Steve, Lily, Joe, and I set off. It was a treat to see my Emily, various other Lambsons, and wittle Noah, mellowly sucking on a bottle instead of napping. We trekked downstairs, where Jeanne and Kirsten were set up with their instruments, and the boys began singing with them. Noah was DANG cute down there...he was doing his own version of singing along at first by making absent-minded noises, then climbing up Joe's legs and scooting right up to Jeanne's cello. He was transfixed! I'm so glad Em got a shot of it.

After the session, Joe and Steve took off for home, and Em took me and Lily to Rocheport to have a quiet girly lunch at the Millers', where Lily would also do my hair in Kaye's luxurious bathroom. It was so, so nice to be out there...surrounded by peaceful hills and trees and to NOT worry about getting Dad's house ready, with the confident sun streaming everywhere, promising a beautiful evening. I wasn't hungry even one bit, but it was all so pretty (and I didn't want to collapse later)...I knew I had to eat. Sarah made hot olives (sounds weird, right? OH SO GOOD!!)...roasted red pepper and tomato soup...crustless quiche with sausage...salad with Lily's Balsamic Vinaigrette, and warm blackberry crisp with vanilla ice cream (WOW WOW WOW). Kaye even presented me with a Dutch Letter she'd saved from the last time she was at Jaarsma's! Such a pleasant afternoon. Lily did my hair in the aforementioned bathroom, with my girls surrounding me.
I LOVED my hair. Loved it. The curls stayed in all day and were soft and full (I don't even think she sprayed them), and the braid kept flyaways out of my face.

It was getting to be past 2:00, so Emily left to check in at home, and Sarah took me and Lily downtown to My Secret Garden, sash in place, to pick up my flowers. I was so excited to see what Ruth would dream up...I pretty much told her to do what she wanted, giving her a few ideas about what I like in the world of flowers (such as: nothing normal, please).

I was blown away when I saw her creations: one bouquet for me to hold, and a large (huge! so tall! so wide!) arrangement to put by mama's display up front. I can't do it justice the way Emily can (my hand-held bouquet is on her blog at emilys-little-world.blogspot.com), but here's my attempt at capturing the large arrangement in the sunlight:


The fall leaves, the marigolds from Stephanie's garden, the huge mushroom at the bottom, the Birds of paradise, the...oh crap, it was called something really long...it looks like brains. Here's a close-up:


It was all so perfectly crazy colorful and fall-ish and gorgeous. We wrangled it into Sarah's car (had to use the floor, it was so tall), me and Lily squished in the back, and we drove on to Dad's house.

I gathered my dress, underthings, shoes, and jewelry, and went into Dad's room to change (nice and airy, and I suspect the only room in the house with a bed that was actually made). We were making decent time, but I was cutting it close, and to be honest...I was completely freaking out. I was positive Neil wouldn't show up, or that he was in an accident, or that he and Mark had taken off. It was completely unfounded (based primarily on the fact that he didn't answer his phone when I called, because he had been in the shower), but I think it happened because, while drifting to sleep the other night, I worked myself into a frenzy imagining the worst thing possible--that Neil wouldn't be there to marry me. Once I put the idea in my head, I couldn't shake the niggly feeling that it might happen. That he might run off. That this sort of thing happens in movies and books All The Time. Again, I had no logical reason to think this. I was just going through a crazy moment. I knew one thing: I didn't want to change into my dress until I'd heard from him. So when he called a few minutes later, I could have sobbed with relief. He said "I'll meet you in 45 minutes by the waterfall!" and I raced to get ready.

I wrangled myself into my layers of foundation garments and satin and lace, zipped it up (without help!), and stepped out to get my makeup applied. Lily did some things with powder and blusher, and tried to eyeline, but I jumped too much, so I did that part. We packed up (man, there was a LOT of packing up for all this), and were off--I was ready to go meet my love.

Neil and I had a few minutes by the waterfall (drained, but that was okay, since that meant less people were around), where he made me feel gorgeous again, and I felt entirely comforted. All day, I knew how I'd feel better--if he were there. And here he was. Handsome and tall and newly-shaven and hair-cutted, holding me and keeping me warm as he always has done, and always will do. We didn't have to jump right into the photo session, so we could go in the schoolhouse and see how the set-up was coming along. Everyone helped cart the wooden chairs in and set them up, and it looked so much better than I envisioned it. Dad joked that they thought about not setting the chairs up symmetrically, knowing it would drive me batty if I had to walk between them, but I don't even know if I would have noticed.

It was really neat to see everyone working together to get the schoolhouse ready, and gave us a chance to see it all and enjoy the surroundings before the ceremony. Emily arrived soon after, and the photos began, with different groupings of family, Neil and I, and sometimes *just me*!! We practiced our altar-kiss a LOT.

When it became clear that everyone had arrived with five minutes before the ceremony was scheduled to start, we decided to go ahead. Kristin stood facing us at the front, and Neil walked up to wait. I was surrounded by my wonderful Daddy, my beautiful sister, and the spirit of my mother, while Kristin said "Please stand to welcome the bride." This surprised me--I didn't know she would do this--but I guess it was okay to be looked at for a minute or so.

Lily set the urn up front, and Dad stayed with me while Kristin asked who blessed this union. Father said, in confident tones, "I bless this union!", and I turned to my Neil. We faced each other for the entire ceremony, which I loved, for I found strength in his gaze when I needed it. I wish I would have been facing the direction my family sat in (but maybe it was for the best, since Dad said he cried like fifteen times, and I managed to only let the tears fall twice. if I'd seen him, though, I would have been a goner). I can't say I remember Kristin's words...but since we chose them, I know what she said.

She introduced the sand ceremony, and I loved seeing our families walk up one by one to fill the vase. My feet, however, were killing me. The shoes were fine, but standing in one place for half an hour in heels, when I'm soooooo not used to them, was a chore.

Kristin read "The Blessing of the Hands," and I knew our vows were next. I tried to interject feeling into my words so it didn't sound like I was repeating them robotically, but I also didn't want to emote too much. ("I give you my HEART!!! It is the GREATEST gift I have to give!!")

Soon, we were close together, Neil taking my face in his hands to kiss me. We were done.

Kristin introduced my brothers, who stepped up to the front to take over the entertainment, giving a harmonious duet of "When I'm 64," with humorous banter during one instrumental verse. It was the perfect tone to leave the ceremony with--laughter and applause and hugs. We resumed our positions one last time, and Kristin pronounced us husband and wife...we took hands and left down the aisle, and I whispered to Emily to meet us by the waterfall after a couple of minutes. I wanted a moment, dangit!!

We sat on the same bench we'd occupied earlier, right before the ceremony, and marveled at our new relationship. Before long, the guests converged upon us so Emily could get a photo of the whole crowd: the Dazets, the Millers, the Southerlands, the Irwins, the Atkinses (Carmen wore mini patent leather shoes with her fall dress!), Roger, Kristin, the Lambsons, Gilbert, Tina, and the Dawsons. My one regret is that Emily wasn't in that photo!

After another half hour or so of friend photos and romantic sunset photos, we departed. Neil and I drove (first drive as a married couple!) back to our place, so we could change. We got into our casual-but-nice wedding-party outfits (dark green short sleeved button up sweater and trouser jeans for me, a new Vintage Wear Eddie Bauer button up with Buckle jeans for Neil), and wore our twin steel gray Doc Martens, our wedding gift to one another.

Dad's house was sparkling with the plethora of candles on the mantel and in the fireplace, and with the Christmas lights he'd strung tastefully on the crossbeams in the living room. It was gorgeous! Everyone I love was surrounding me in the warm house, happy for the leap we'd just taken. Dad's lemonade (with sparkling water, YUM!) was gorgeous in the glass dispenser I'd rented, the Blue Moon was grabbed up so fast that Lily and Gibs had to run out for more. We passed out the champagne and spumante for the toast, and Neil and I shared a bottle of Moscato d'Asti, my very very favorite.

The pizzas came a little while later, and it soon became clear I'd misjudged the popularity of the Hawaiian monstrosity Neil loves. I got one of them, thinking he'd be the only one to eat it and that he'd have plenty of leftovers, but WOW did that one go fast. Seriously, guys? Pineapple on pizza? Is this anything like that pumpkin/chocolate thing, Ems?

After we were all filled up, waiting for the pizza to settle so there'd be room for cupcakes (OH SO beautiful. I can't wait to show you! Vanilla buttercream in fall colors on spice, dark chocolate, and orange supreme cake, some with the cutest acorns you've ever seen made out of caramels dipped in chocolate and sprinkles, all dusted with gold or bronze edible dusting powder), Noah discovered the candles flickering beyond the glass fireplace doors. Oh my lord, that kid is freaking unbelievably cute when he's excited. He wanted to get to these strange moving lights so bad, was so thrilled to see something new...I could have watched him all night.
But, *he* didn't have all night. His huge eyes began to droop, and mum & pops gathered him up for the night. The very last thing he did was give me a smile before burying his head in Emily's shoulder.

Cupcakes were next...or two, or three or four...so delicious and lovely. Bobby Short played on the vintage player (Could his CD "How's Your Romance" be any more perfect for a reception?), and we all mellowed out as the evening wound down. Poor Neil looked so tired and overheated, that I told him he should run home and I'd make my way back later--I wanted to clean up, and I wasn't at all ready to leave yet.

Is it weird that I enjoy cleaning up after large gatherings? It is so satisfying, and I like knowing I'm doing something to help, since I more than likely did very little to prepare for it. All the rental glassware needed to be cleaned, and I didn't want Dad to have to deal with it the next morning.

Before digging in, Sarah, Dad, Steve, and I sat outside on the porch while the boys smoked cigars. It was a perfect little ending to the most eventful day of my life...nice and mellow and pleasant.

When I went home an hour or so later, I closed the door behind me (after fate left the parking spot beside Neil's open, so our cars could sleep with each other too). Neil was asleep, but he called groggily "Is that my wife?" He got up and we cuddled on the couch, just enjoying one another's presence.



Sigh.


So...that was my October 18, 2008. I have to say, I'm still not a wedding person...and I'm so glad it was small and casual, with moments of laughter in the ceremony, not everything going perfect, and that we wore jeans to the party afterward.

More thoughts of life right now:


I've mentioned how righteous it is to have a birthday on FB...try getting MARRIED on there! Holy wall-posts and status-comments, Batman! Should we have babies just to get more of these?

The coming few weeks are just a mess of UTTER AWESOMENESS.

-This week: The children are all here!! I expect several games of Aps to Snaps and Scattergories are upcoming...
-10/25: Reception at the Millers' lovely home
-10/30: Leave for Ohio. Dine at The Hill, then drive for awhile before hotelling it up for the night.
-10/31-11/2: Ohio. I get to see my darling Dazets, officially as a new branch of my family! PP will preach and I'm sure we'll do a lot of porch-sitting and game-playing. And Neil and I are staying in an amenity-rich hotel room..hubba hubba!
-Early November: Lily and Gilbert officially move back home!!
-11/11: Leave with Em to meet Sarah in KC for NKOTB! I've been studying "The Block," which in all honesty is idiotic, for a week or so now. But it's still awesome. And Sarah tells me she likes it too! We're staying the night and will return the next day, and I have that day off.
-11/13: Get dressed up to go to Jesse for "Sweeney Todd"!! I called the other day for tickets, figuring only slim pickings would be left, but two tickets in the front row center balcony opened up...my FAVORITE place to sit in that auditorium. I hope Neil loves the show as much as I do!
-11/17: My first day at the Missouri State Library! I can finally go to a doctor without a sliding scale! SarahJC every day! Paid days off!

....and then Thanksgiving the next week....and then it's basically Christmas...and we don't have to think about January right now. But WOWIE, what a fall this has been!

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes and kind thoughts...your generosity...your love and friendship...your time...and your patience.

3 comments:

Stacy Dazet said...

Thanks for this post. It gave me a great glimpse into your special day. It sounded perfect. Looking forward to your visit.
Love ya!

ClatieK said...

My heart is so warm and fuzzy right now, I cannot even tell you!

Emily S. said...

such a well-told day! Made me feel like I was there! ......wait.

ha! Anyway, LOVED reading the parts I wasn't there for, and loved your insight and joy, and I am sorry too I wsn't in the group shot. Didn't even occur to me until I read it. Oops... :(

Anyway.... Enjoy the rest of your week, and I'll try to shoot you a pic or two tonight, closer to the 11:00 pm hour...