Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October!

I'm getting married this month. Oh my goodness.


So today was awesome. Uneventful, but awesome. I got so much done.

First, I just finished tomorrow's NYTX...this may be the first time I've done a Thursday without help. I'm getting smarter, people! Either that or Will Shortz wasn't as picky today.

I vacuumed today. This would have been enough by itself to make me proud of my accomplishments today; I hate, hate, hate vacuuming. And here's why:

1. The unplugging and replugging all the time.
2. The need to stop halfway and unload the dust compartment, and to pull all of the hairs out of the brush. It's less gross than doing a house or room where other hairs than my own are going into the vacuum, because I can't handle other people's long hairs.
3. The constant bending over.
4. Ultimate example of getting dirtier when you're trying to clean.
5. I get hot and sweaty, even without the aforementioned dirt.
6. The cord that gets in your way all the time.
7. The fact that after you're done...nothing *really* looks that different.
8. Our vacuum is beginning to make funny sounds. And it smells like burning rubber. Neither of which bode well for its future, I bet.
9. I'm anal; I need to get every spot I can, and I need to know that I haven't missed spots. When you're vacuuming an apartment all carpeted the same, with rooms leading into each other, with computer chairs and dining tables and La-Z-Boys everywhere, I can't go in a straight line and keep track of where I've been, and I can't be *sure* that I've gotten every inch so far. So I end up going over the same area several times just in case I've missed a spot. I also do this because I know I won't be vacuuming again for a very long time, and I want it to count. How would a Roomba know it hasn't gone over the same spot twice?
10. When you're done, the vacuum is filthy. So I feel like I have to wipe it down. Only I'm always too tired and pissed to do so, so I put it away dusty. And that makes me feel like I haven't fully completed the task.
11. My vacuum locks into a 90-degree position so it can stand on its own, and you need to lay down the front for it to go at an angle...which is most of the time during a vacuum job. But it very easily goes into the 'locked' position, which means in the middle of a sweep, suddenly it won't angle anymore. And I have to stop and put my foot on the front so it will be flexible again.
12. Trying to throw away the dust is a bitch, because it kind of clouds up above the trash can...then back onto the floor...and you have to vacuum it all over again. Once, I dropped the dust container right on the floor, making a worse mess. I didn't speak to anyone for hours after that one.

Okay, rant over! October is here!!

I've determined a guaranteed creepy feature, for me, in faces: eyes that are too close together. Case in point: Astros first-baseman Lance Berkman.

{I tried to find a really good image of him at bat...he gives this creepy glare where you can see the whites of his eyes from about a mile away. But no Google Images did it justice.}

Also, can someone please tell me why anyone ever thought chocolate was a good combination with pumpkin? I wouldn't call myself a pumpkin purist, but I do love my pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, preferably with some sort of creamy topping...and I've been known to enjoy a good pumpkin cheesecake. But pumpkin with chocolate?? No.

Lily called, and Gilbert is starting the MBA program at MU in January! They're moving back at the end of October! So this means our annual Schnucks Thanksgiving shopping trip is NOT in jeopardy!! And we all get to see Lily dance in May! Gilbert never has, I don't think, and neither has Neil. Yippee! (Speaking of Neil...he is having a TERRIFIC first week at work. They got him one of those brand-new iPhones, even! I get his Blackberry when I switch to his plan in December!)


No theme for this entry. Just an update on my day, and on the beginning of the Best Month Ever.

I love everything!



[this reminded me of mama...]

2 comments:

librarysunshine said...

A Roomba! I'm totally coveting one of those. I hate vacuuming ... and sweeping, mopping, dusting. (Better stop, the anti-June Cleaver list keeps going).

Happy wedding month! I'm certain everything will be wonderful. :)

Emily S. said...

I don't know another soul who could rant THAT long about vacuum hate. Impressive. SERIOUSLY.

And I am a pumpkin with chocolate lovah. Sorry, babe.

Nice moon.

Happy OCTOBER!!!