Monday, October 13, 2008

The socks have literally flown off my feet. Well, not LITERALLY.

...How come no one ever told me how STINKING charming "Enchanted" is??

(Okay, I guess you did tell me. That's why I DVR'ed it off Starz HD the other day. But how could you have let me wait this long to watch it?)


Top nine reasons I loved it, in Not Necessarily Top Nine order because I Haven't Taken the Time to Rank Them (Spoiler warning):

*Generally, my eyes don't see anything but Scabbers when Timothy Spall is in anything. But I loved him in this, especially at the end when he's signing his books and they show his cutesy author's pose on the cover.

*Susan Sarandon's real-life version of her outfit was to die for. All fancy cobwebs and black iridescence...! Step aside, Bernadette, another beautiful witch has dethroned you.

*I totally appreciated the turn-arounds of both Idina Menzel (almost the only part of "Rent" I don't like, but I bet I'd love her in "Wicked") and James Marsden. Who knew they could pull off a double-whammy of making both seemingly one-dimensional characters (and one-dimensional in very different ways) endearing and kind of wonderful at the end?

*How Giselle made dresses out of curtains without even making sure that was okay with her host

*Of the apparent thousands of Disney references in the film, my favorite has to be that the troll's loincloth was made out of remnants of the Disney princesses' dresses, and his earrings are the shells from Ariel's bikini top. Or maybe that one of the dancers in "That's How You Know" was a chimney sweep in "Mary Poppins." I love "Mary Poppins" best of all. "Love us like a son and daughter/And never smell of bar-ley wa-ter..."

*That Edmund Lyndeck plays the Cranky Old Man. He was Judge Turpin!

You see, sir, a man infatuate with love
her ardent and eager slave
So fetch the pomade and pumice stone
and lend me a more seductive tone
a sprinkling perhaps of French cologne
but first, sir, I think... a shave.


*I LOVE when actors who we don't normally see singing are unexpectedly good at it. Like Gwyneth Paltrow or Nicole Kidman.

*Really cute that the three actresses who voiced Ariel, Belle, and Pocahontas had cameos.

*I'm usually a big old sucker for small, cute animals in animated films (see Petri, Bartok, Scrat), so I figured I'd be completely enamored of Pip by the end. But even with his New York accent, he wasn't my favorite, and I liked that he wasn't--because it allowed me to focus on how cute everything else was. I can't hardly appreciate "Anastasia," for example, because I am always dying for a Bartok scene.

*She's just so....sweet. Who wouldn't fall in love with someone like that? I wish Amy Adams was my friend. And, I mean, I'm a Jim-n-Pam fan. We all are, right? But like...if I re-watch those episodes now, I might be rooting for her just a little bit.


On to real life.



Today was AWES. OME. I worked for a mere three hours, then arranged to leave early (isn't leaving work unexpectedly early so nice? But only when it's for a happy reason or because of the weather or something) to meet with Sarah JC for erranding.

We tackled Shoe Carnival, Linens N Things, Michael's, JCPenney, and Target, and were reasonably successful in all places. Also, when we were nearing Target, the huge military-grade security door was down, and rose just as we came close. When we later asked a Target cashier what was going on, he said "Oh, they were testing the doors or something." Yeah, right. There was totally a bomb scene or a hostage inside that they were told not to tell us about.

Oh, also, I had a YUM YUM YUMMY Insalata Blu with steak (medium) at Macaroni Grill for lunch. (Ems, why's it called "Insalata BLU" when there's no bleu cheese or really anything blue in it? Is it because it's sad? Like, a depressed salad? Because it sure made this mouth happy.)

The rest of my week won't be so great, just mounds and mounds of little things to get done with every moment I have to spare. I grab down-time when I can get away with it, because I don't want to go crazy (and there are plenty of treats just waiting to be enjoyed on the DVR). "Privileged" is a repeat this Tuesday (I think it's the Pilot, so you know what to do, all y'all who haven't seen it yet! The CW, 9 PM, 8 Central!), so I'm glad I have a new favorite to fall back on: "The Ex List." Elizabeth Reaser, I didn't like you in "Gray's," and the thought of you as Esme Cullen makes me have a bad taste in my mouth, but you are seriously fun in your new show. I just don't like the ads where you're sitting in a kiddie pool surrounded by slimy frogs all around your bits.


I'm making Black Angus burgers for dinner tonight. The cashier at Wal-Mart told me I'll never go back to regular after these.

We'll see if she's right.
As always, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

The Blu no longer has blue cheese crumbles? Because it DID. That is where the name comes from.

And I am SHOCKED you hadn't seen Enchanted yet. SHOCKED. And of COURSE you loved it!!!

yay! Hang in there.... YOu are doing so well with the stress!!

Tamara said...

I'm so happy you're married now! Waiting to see some pics of the actual day...I'm sure you were DANG cutsy-patootsy! Anyway, I hope that pic that Emily posted was of you...and if it WAS of you, dang nice lookin choice of flowers! Anyway, I read the post before this one, but felt I needed to comment on the most recent of all posts. I hope everything went just as you'd imagined...it only happens once, and you get to be in the spotlight.