Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy 100th Post!

...it seems only yesterday when I was in the early 70's.

So, wow. The past week has been busier than I ever could have imagined, considering I figured it would be a walk in the park being off work and all.

I continue my housewifery duties, making the bed every day, keeping the sink & counter dirty-dish-free, and making sure all the 'hot spots' (surfaces that attract clutter like Heather Locklear to bass players) are cleared--in our case, the dining room table, the coffee table, and the top of the storage bench in our bedroom.

I went to my *very first* professional conference last Wednesday, which I'd like to tell you was filled with higher learning and where interesting and helpful contacts were made. Instead, the highlights came when I got a new shirt and the Anti-Bride Guide at the outlet mall. Tan*Tar*A's a bitch to get around in. Where do they get off putting their resort like ten miles down a twisty, five-mile-an-hour road? And once you're in it...I mean, it's any other Holiday Inn. On the upside, they put a 256-MB flash drive in our conference bag. Saved me $2, MOBIUS! Thanks.

I turned 31 on Thursday, and I did absolutely nothing all day. I slept in, watched The Bachelor, and picked Neil up early from work. We went to Daddy's for KC Strip, and he even made me mashed cauliflower! He made enough to last me several servings, and it's the perfect mashed potato substitute. I am doing so good, seriously. Lil & Steve called a couple times each, and I got like twelve Facebook wall posts. Say what you will about FB...it rocks to have a birthday on there.

Saturday, Dad, Neil & I went to Art in the Park. We walked around the booths (in very muggy climes that threatened storms, but not enough to be my favorite weather), and I chose a pairing of red metal lizards, whimsically spotted and striped, to put above Sean's cage. Next year I'm getting this one painting of cartoony veggies to put in the kitchen. I love veggie paintings. And I want that Fiestaware one too. Which reminds me, I need to find Em's "Tomato/Tomahto" mixed-media canvas...I adore it so.

Soon after, Neil and I left for Springfield to see (mainly) Ben, Candice, and Kristy. We checked into our hotel, an Extended Stay (which seemed nice), showered, and made our way over to the Borks' for that evening's gathering. Kristy attacked Neil as soon as we went in (the first of many such moves), which I try and convince myself I'm not that bothered by, and seeing B & C was like old times. I can't imagine getting along better with such a couple as they. I can see us all still friends in ten years, despite relocation plans. After several hours of girlie chat and entirely inappropriate gay-themed banter between Neil and Ben (he's shooting my man a tonguey look here:)


...we went back to the hotel. Not before I fell in love with Lloyd, the dog enamored with Neil above. I never fancied myself a Dachsund lover, but after this little dude and Oscar, I just may be.
Anybloop, we soon discovered why the Extended Stay was so willing to accept my dirt-cheap Priceline offer. The bed was hard as a rock (and who ever heard of just one queen bed in a room?) and the sheets smelled juuuuuuust like they hadn't been washed from the last smelly inhabitant. My back and shoulders hurt so much when we got up the next morning.

We decided we probably wouldn't stay the next night, though the room was paid for...so we used it as a kind of home base during the day. While Neil helped the Ben contingent move all afternoon, I worked on my freelance in the room. When he was done, everyone was going to Lambert's (Famous For Throwed Rolls...seriously, that's how they answer their phone), so we met them in Ozark. Everyone was kind of sad/apathetic; it wasn't the most entertaining meal I've ever had. We stopped by the apartment to officially tell Ben goodbye, since he hadn't come to dinner, and marveled (worried for?) the hundreds of animals (a variety of species of turtles in at least a dozen tubs, each with multiple roomies; homing pigeons in a ginormous glassed-in ferret cage; one cat; and a very tall box filled to the brim with deli dishes full of squiggling leopard geckos) ready to go.

We headed home, and I kept caffeinated so I could make it safely. I figured since Neil moved all day, and I basically read, I should take over the driving so he could sleep.

Yesterday, I shipped off my manuscript, and stopped at Dad's to catch up and to get my mail. My dresses arrived! I tried one on when I got home. It may work, but I'm not sure. Somehow, I'm not that worried about it. I think because things haven't calmed down recently in other areas, and I haven't had any time to worry about the wedding, I'm pushing all dress-related concerns to a "non-priority" file. It would have been awesome had the dress been perfect, but I'm not panicking that it wasn't.

Tonight, I made "breaded" chicken nuggets and cheese curds (well, cubes...they were cheaper). The kitchen was a freaking wreck when I was done, and I'm not sure the effort was worth the product, but Neil said it was delicious. And it was nice to know I can have buffalo chicken when I really, really want it. I used Hooters brand wing sauce. I feel like the instructions on the lid ("Remove lid before pouring," "Refrigerate after opening [in a refrigerator]") would have been a lot more clever if the jar hadn't had the label "Hooters" on it. Yes--I'm judgmental, especially on things that deserve to be judged.


This week is a hiatus in between travels. I am avowed to tackle many things, which I'll detail in a subsequent blog post.


Let's hear it for ONE HUNDRED again, folks. Woot woot.

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

happy 100!! i love this blog. :)

we're just getting things finalized for our drive...we'll be passing through Columbia about midday...We'll send a wave into the nethersphere for ya!!