Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Here I go again...

I feel like a broken record...but here it is, January 11 (1/11/11!) and I've begun another new plan for the new year. I love starting new each year...it always seems like no matter how much bad stuff I've done to my body, or whatever crap is going on in other areas of life, that I'm always given a fresh start to change it up.

I realize it's a controversial choice, but I'm back on the old low-carb plan. I feel like I have to defend it, but the bottom line is...I need my weight to go down. And I like this diet just fine. And, frankly, I don't eat well one bit when I'm not on it (despite trying...I just don't have the discipline), so reducing starches and sugars can only help me.

I've also done some reading about transitioning back to traditional eating once I've reached my goal weight, and feel like I have the resources necessary to help me do that. There's been a high 'regain-plus' trend for low-carbers once they come off the plan, because they immediately start gorging on carbs again (even if they're eating low-fat). Bodies need time to come off ketosis, and the key is to slowly re-integrate carbs per week.

BUT, that won't be for awhile. I just like having that to look forward to in the days when I get sick of these heavy foods.

That's also not to say that I won't have little carb-breaks here and there--I'm not visiting Florida in February without trying some fresh citrus!--but with the understanding that any deviation from 20 carbs a day means I definitely won't lose weight for the day, and a full day off usually means no loss or a slight gain for the week. I love the idea of being held accountable, so there may be a few boring what-I-ate-today posts here and losses for the week. :)

I am going to try, try, try not to weigh myself more than once a week. The first time I did this, it was SUCH a high to get on that scale every morning and see it go down 1-2 pounds every day at first. But then it was all the harder on the days when there was inexplicably no weight loss.

I'm excited about this new plan (I've done it several times so it actually seems almost old-hat now), and made it through that always-sucky first day without maniacally craving a ginormous piece of chocolate cake. I'm stocked at work with pepperoni, turkey jerky, pickled eggs, pickled cauliflower, olives, and almonds for snacks this week. and bunless chili cheese dogs for lunch today.

I hope the next time I check in here, it'll be a good progress report!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Good luck! I hope you check in with much frequency!!!

LilBear said...

You are an inspiration- I'm rooting for you!!! Let me know what yummies to stock for when you are here. Maybe we can even go for walks- I was doing so well with that, and now I've fallen off the wagon and can't get back on it.