Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Regulation Minutiae

1. Last night was AWESOME.

a. Neil picked us up Subway sandwiches. Tuscan Chicken: yum.

b. Idol finale from 7-8. Adam began the show by being HYDRAULICALLY LIFTED ONTO THE STAGE STAIRCASE in a long, totally sexy coat and big boots, backlit with dry-ice mist being pumped onto the stage like crazy, and dived into "Mad World" again. Even yummier than the sandwich.

c. GLEE from 8-9. Oh MAN it got me pumped. And Stephen Tobolowsky is ge-ni-US. I can't wait for the season!

d. And THEN, I switched it to the Cardinals game. We'd not been doing great lately, so when I saw we were playing the Cubs I didn't have my hopes up. But there we were....3-0, top of the 9th, and we watched long enough to see Piniero pitch an entire-game shut-out. He looked so fiercely happy about it!





2. Other things:


-I'd purchased a regular Pepsi and a Throwback Pepsi from Gerbes the other day, because someone else had done it at work and given us a blind taste test. I wanted to do the same for Neil, so I poured some of each into different glasses and told him to guess which was which. He tasted one...then the other...then the other...then the other and the other. His verdict:


"Well, they both taste the same now."








We are planning our trips this summer, and I'm having fun! Yesterday, I booked our so-close-to Busch-you-could-catch-an-out-of-the-park-home-run-ball hotel, and I'm taking Lily's advice and waiting until just before the game to get tickets from someone with good seats who can't use them. It's risky, and I don't generally do risky when it comes to planning, but NO seats on eBay or the official ticket site look good (and in our general price range) and dammit, I am GOING to see Eckstein up close. (We're seeing StL vs. Padres in August...it'll be sad not to see David in Cardinals-red, but I'm still hoping they walk him so I can see him run really fast to first even though he doesn't have to. Thurston does it too, but it's not really equivalent because he doesn't look like a little ball of flying cuteness in the same way. He's plenty attractive, but not at the Eckstein level.)



That one will be a whirlwind weekend: Friday night in StL for the game, leave Sat AM for Chicago, go see the Harry Potter exhibit, stay Sat night, see Neil's friends Sunday, then head home.



I've been reading my latest manuscript installments at about 100 pages a day, which seems, finally, to be a pattern I can work with. Even after seven years of it, I never seem to manage my reading time properly, so I'm always scrambling during the last couple days before they're due to be sent back plowing through hundreds of pages, tiredly writing B.S. reports, and rushing to the UPS store at the last possible moment. But even with bad manuscripts (which 9/10 of them are), 100 pages a day is never terrible. I use half my lunch hour and a few minutes at home, and it's done.



So: life's going pretty good. Lily dances this weekend (yay!), I'm off Monday, and then June begins with a bang a week later.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Was Glee not freaking AWESOME!! Oh my word, I can't wait to see the rest in the fall. I hate that we have to wait.

I have to admit, I was with Simon on the Phantom thing, BUT, that was Adam's best performance ever. And though I must admit to having voted for Kris, I just prefer him, I wouldn't be that sad if Adam won. He is impressive.

Especially when he stops screaming. :)

genevieve said...

Mel--I'd be fine with Kris winning too. Adam is my TYPE of singer (heck, I paid to see Sebastian Bach last summer--I like the screamers!), but he's going to be big no matter what. Either way, what a good evening on Fox TV!!

Peeser said...

For what it's worth, I don't object to Adam- I think he is an impressive entertainer- he has a lot of that classic rock charisma that has made Mick Jagger a continually popular performer (despite the fact that he looks like he has more wrinkles than the People's Republic of China). My main issue is that the judges continually tout Idol as a SINGING competition. As such, the way they rave about Adam seems hypocritical because SINGING-wise, he is NOT superior to Kris or Danny. It seems like they conveniently forget to point out that it is a SINGING competition when it is someone they LIKE. It is the judges hypocrisy that gets my goat, not the fact that Adam is more of a "screamer."
(Quite frankly, I think they should stop using that critique altogether. The show is called American IDOL- which means that if the contestant can get America to idolize them, regardless of their singing talent, they deserve to win.)

Okay, getting down off the soapbox now...

(btw- it sound like you have a fun summer planned- I, too, am totally planning on heading up to Chicago for the HP exhibit- I've heard it is AWESOME!!!)

Emily S. said...

Just..... hi.

LOVED Glee, downloaded the episode to my iTunes so I can watch it any time I please.

Bought the Journey song. Keep listening to it.

I MIGHT be able to be a regular watcher next season....And that's saying a LOT for me!!

Love you!