Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's about time for a list.

I know I've been trying, over the last few years, to not focus so much on the negative.

But sometimes I don't try that hard.

I saw this on "i hate so much," and I found myself agreeing with just about all of them (except jazz music. I do love to get slightly buzzed...or more than slightly buzzed...and sit in a darkened dining room watching an attractive jazz band playing).

So.



Ten Things I Hate That People Seem To Like



1. Running. Come off it, no one really likes to run.



2. Steam Rooms/Saunas. Granted, I've never been in one. But the idea is COMPLETELY unappealing to me. The sitting bare-assed on a wooden bench just sweating and not doing anything else but sweating? I can't even have a magazine? No. no, and no.



3a. Bananas. Yellow, perfect, in Runt form, in Chunky Monkey. (Exception: banana bread. I also used to do Dannon banana yogurt...I can still stomach the strawberry-banana Yoplait kind, if it's totally blended.)

3b. Watermelon. It's mushy. It tastes like mushy pink NOTHING. And it's so wet. And what's with those gross slimy seeds? And that white part? That's even more of a nothing than the pink part! (I will do watermelon-flavored candy.)



4. Laying Out. I suppose this is similar to the steam room/sauna problem. Sitting still, doing nothing, being hot and sweaty. No thank you.



5. Bette Midler (Singing). Her voice always sounds so atonal and flat to me. And I'm normally a huge fan of whatever the gay boys like, but I am always so amazed at why people think she's a talented singer.



6. Jennifer Tilly. She is NOT cute. Her squeaky little-girl voice is NOT cute. No matter what they say.



7. Balderdash. Not even a game. It is not even a GAME. It is lying and trying to make people think you are not lying.



8. Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Not even in the Heinz commercials.



9. Trying Out Different Ring Tones/Changing The Ring Tones In One's Phone. I find one I like, I stick with it. And that way my senses are acclimated to responding to that certain ring every time, instead of being startled out of the silence by a new ring tone you don't remember changing it to because maybe no one has called you in three weeks.



10. Reggae music. Star Wars. Weddings. Paperclips. Gardening. The sun, especially when it's cold/wintry outside.



(Had to sneak in a few. I should have known I couldn't keep to ten.)

4 comments:

Peeser said...

I'll admit, I kind-of like the idea of a Hate list- it made me think of "10 Things I Hate About You" (which would probably go on my list because honestly, I don't think it's really THAT funny and as hot as Heath Ledger can be in general, I don't find him particularly attractive in that movie...)

While I disagree with some of those, the biggest one would be Balderdash. Maybe it is just lying and trying to convince others you're not, but it still is so dang FUNNY. I suck at it- no one ever seems to want to pick mine, no matter how funny or creative I try to be, but I LOVE hearing what others come up with, especially when I'm playing with my family...

Good to see you posting again! (I should probably get on that- it's been a few weeks...)

Stefanie said...

hey now, I like Ladysmith Black Mambazo!! But,I have to agree with some of your others -- mainly the sitting around and sweating ones! :)

Shannon said...

Ooooh. Brilliant! It is for things like this that I wish I had a blog, but even if I did, I wouldn't get more than maybe 1 or 2readers. You should make this into a facebook note! It will spread like wildfire! If you don't hurry, I am going to do it because now I want to make a list too!! i have to think of my ten things first, though. First I will make a list responding to your list! (But I gotta do it fast. I have maybe 15 minutes before the baby will be back up and screaming :).)

1. Running.
Ok. I admit it. I do. I like to run. I really do, but I started when I was 8 or so, and it was something I went out and did with my dad so it is filled with good memories.

2. Steam Rooms/Saunas. I certainly wouldn't go in naked, and who says you can't have a magazine? I would take a magazine. I really like being hot and humid though, so I think I might like this if I tried it too.

3a. Bananas.
I go back and forth. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't, but I NEVER like banana flavored anything ESPECIALLY RUNTS!!! I make William eat all of those. Barf.

3b. Watermelon. YES! I HATE Watermelon. HATE HATE HATE it. Gross. It would taste like nothing except it tastes like BAD nothing. There is nothing good about it, and people adore it. Everybody serves it all summer and then looks at you like your crazy when you don't want it. Yuck. Although once every couple of years I think, I bet I will like this and try it, but I never do.

4. Laying Out. I love laying out. Love it. I really like being hot, though.

5. Bette Midler: I have never put much thought into her, but I don't particularly care for Bette Midler in any form.

6. Jennifer Tilly. I'm not sure who this is off the top of my head, but I hate squeeky voiced people, so I bet I hate her.

7. Balderdash. Worst game ever. Seriously. How stupid is that? There is 0 point to it. You are not rewarded for knowing the actual definition...just rewarded for tricking people into admitting that they don't know the real definition. Stupid.


8. Ladysmith Black Mambazo. No idea what the heck this is, but the name irritates me. :).

9. Trying Out Different Ring Tones/Changing The Ring Tones In One's Phone. I'm a stick with one kinda person too for the most part, but I used to download a song and then use it for ages and then switch. Now I NEVER have the ringer on for fear I will forget to turn it off and it will wake the baby. I am a vibrate only kinda girl (unless I am waiting on an important call, and I am paranoid that I will miss it.)

10. Reggae music.
Not really a fan, but I rarely encounter it, so i am ok.
Star Wars.
I don't care either way. Doesn't bother me, but I don't love it.
Weddings.
Unless it is someone I really care about, but even then I usually feel like I am dragging myself. I do like the knowledge that I was at the wedding, though. I like weddings much better than receptions, though. I like ceremony, but I hate being forced to sit and pretend to visit with strangers.
Paperclips. Really? I didn't know that "everybody loved paperclips" :). i have no feelings about them other than that they are useful. I would always prefer a binder clip, though.
Gardening.
I LOVE the idea of gardening, but I HATE gardening. I have tried and tried, but I don't like to till, I don't like to plant, and I don't like to weed. I do like to pick the stuff when it is all done, though. Does that count as gardening? Gourds are the best because you just leave them on the vine FOREVER and then when you get around to it and everything is almost dead, you go pick them off.

The sun, especially when it's
cold/wintry outside.
I love the sun. It is about all that gets me through life somedays. My son, on the other hand, hates it with a burning passion. The sun, the wind, eating, sleeping, and doing fun things would be on his list of "Things Will Hates"
:).

Miss you.
Look for my list on a facebook near you.
Also, did you see all the new pictures I put up of Will (and some of me?) You usually comment on at least one, so I thought maybe you didn't see them since the new facebook is all wonky on what it tells you is new and what it doesn't.

Emily S. said...

I am six days late to this, but I ADORED this list! Passionately agreed on some (saunas, laying out...)... had to disagree on others... (Balderdash.)

and Bette is NOT a good singer, but I love her flair.

The end.

Love you!