Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Inconsequential things, mostly.

1. There are SEVEN calendars in my railroad cubicle. And I love them all for different reasons.

  • 1: UglyDoll calendar from my darling brother Joe. 2: Vintage Harlequin poster, because I am an AMBASSADOR, people, that's right, an AMBASSADOR for them. 3: A spoof of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" graphic, a different statement for each month--this one gets a lot of attention. 4: A standard daily flip-calendar that I write my appointments and things on; very utilitarian. 5. A Page-A-Day Cute Overload...I love Page-A-Days, because it gives me a little thrill each morning. I'm not huuugely impressed with this one, but sometimes it's amusing. 6. A very large dry-erase calendar poster, hung on the cube wall behind me, with markers. And, 7. A standard monthly appointment book that's good to take to meetings. Roger got me the new Office calendar for Christmas, and I may have to fit that one in here too. It's kind of become a thing.


2. I posted a new meme today. It was exhausting. And I think some people who read this are WAY bigger movie buffs than I, so theirs would be much more entertaining. Anyway, here it is, on my other blog:





3. We're having an anti-Valentine's day Snack Day on Friday the 13th, and I have SUCH a good idea for it! I may even take photos so y'all can see!


4. Two words: Norman Gentle. On Idol. (that's 4, sorry.)


5. I'm really getting into the groove of this all-the-time-working-thing. My body's adjusting, the commute's no biggie, and I remembered a good way I can get more audiobooks for simply the cost of the blank cd's I'll burn them onto.

The way I'm figuring it is this: When I worked 20 hours, I had a *lot* of down-time...so 'working' was actually more of this annoying distracting thing I had to get done before getting into the real day. Working 40 hours, work begins to become more of my life, so I live for the down-times, since they're rarer. And Sunday nights suck hard, because I've just gotten USED to the down-time, and suddenly I have to give it up for five whole days (except, working for the state and all, it's usually four). Now, though, I don't normally have a day off. So little things become more precious--like getting to go home to watch "Idol," getting to sleep in an extra couple of hours on Saturday and Sunday, having Subway for dinner. And all THOSE things happen quite a lot--almost every day, there are little good things about that day. It's like I'm suddenly an optimistic person or something. Weird. (Oh, BUT, Lily said something so, so touching last night, even though it sounds back-handed...it's really not. She said "You know how you were before you got to be really sweet? That's how [this girl she talked to that day] was." I felt so good after she said that, because maybe it meant I've actually changed. I hope so. I really, really hope so.)


6. The people at my work laugh at everything I say! (In a good way, not in a mocking way.) I swear to god, I'm always a little stunned when something I observe (like how people should always flush twice after dropping a deuce in our bathroom, because skid marks are not okay for the next visitor to deal with) that isn't that funny, gets hearty laughs all 'round. I feel like a damned celebrity. I guess it's because I generally make friends with people who I think are hi-LAR-ious, and it's always a little harder to get hi-LAR-ious people to laugh. Higher standards, things like that. So when I'm with other, non-work friends, I don't often get the laugh I'm aiming for, and I have to try harder. Not with these folks though. They do a body good, seriously.

(I am not, however, saying my co-workers aren't funny...they totally are. They just also think I am!)


7. Steve was here this weekend. I love that kid. He makes me laugh til tears come out my belly button. And Joe left for Oberlin, which was sad, because I love that kid too. We are completely unstoppable at Password. I am serious.


8. In general...and I haven't been able to say this for a little bit...I'm doing all right. Happy, even. We are going to be just fine, and eventually things are going to be better in terms of family issues and financial issues, but there was a time there when every day was pretty dang dark. I wasn't really sure when, or if, they'd get better...but it's only been a few weeks, and they are. (It definitely helps that I found Diet Sunkist Sparkling Lemonade at Wal-Mart. We have now stocked up and have six 12-packs on deck. We both love it so much. I have trouble finding a diet caffeinated soda that I like, because I dislike both Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper, and can only barely stand diet colas. I was thrilled to find out Sunkist had caffeine, but diet orange soda DOES get old after drinking it every morning. And Sunkist Sparkling Lemonade is my FAVORITE DRINK! The Diet doesn't taste very much different even!)


9. And finally, pumelos are thriving. How I do love a good pumelo.

1 comment:

LilBear said...

OTHER blog? Jesus Christ, man! Where the hell have I been!?!

Totally know what you mean about cracking your co-workers up. I came from a very tough (read EXTREMELY witty) crowd at Disney who pulled no punches to this lovely group of ladies who I accidentally titillate all the time. They are so easy to make laugh. Except did I tell you the time I almost got thrown out of the teachers lounge for good? Oops.

Pumelos. I want to write a song about them. Also my most favorite kind of citrus, the red navel, which is just now going out of season here. If you come down I will take you to Showcase of Citrus where you can taste all the citrus in season. It's so exciting.

OK, I'm off to explore your other (!) blog.