Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Resolutions 2.0

Okay, so since last week knocked us for a loop, I need to revise my resolutions a bit.

I should probably just go for a total re-haul.

1. Begin Weight Watchers; stick with the plan for a full month.

Financially, this is a luxury, so it's going on the back burner for the moment. Once I figure out a more exact budget, though, I want to eat healthier (i.e., ground turkey instead of beef, yogurt for breakfast, etc). It's tough for me not to go to food for comfort, especially in the face of difficulties, but things look brighter every day, and I know the darkness of life-at-the-moment won't last forever. Neil's on board as well, so I won't be going it alone.

2. Join the ARC, or work out at home at least 3 times a week.

Again, this is perhaps an expense better delayed. I got a Body Ball and will try that out soon. Otherwise, I still want to get up the motivation to exercise at home for 30 minutes or so per day; it's the 'feeling up to it' part that's been lacking lately.

3. Write out all thank-you notes; send out with photos.

I have a little box prepared with all the fixings, which I haven't started yet. I'm trying to decide if I should incorporate a photo into the card or just stick one in at the end; I think it would be way cuter to craft a card around a photo.

4. Work out Pensacola trip with Neil & family.

Not going to happen. The University doesn't need Dad for the Spring semester, so though it's a sacrifice to not go to Florida, he's very happy to not have work obligations this term!

5. Read/return at least one DBRL book every other week.

I'm currently 1/3 through with Forever in Blue, and wish I could have four hours to blissfully read it to the end.

6. Work on clearing apartment clutter (books, kitchen, fridge).

Again, other needs have pushed themselves to the forefront, though this is a no-cost resolution that would feel great to make progress on. I have thrown out a barely-used sack of Flaxseed Flour from the fridge, if that counts.

7. Purchase desktop PC/set up wireless internet.

Probably a no-go for a while. Although maybe we should ask Joe to help set up our wireless before he goes back to frigid Ohio.

8. Use restaurant.com coupons.

Again, more of a luxury. But it seems such a shame to waste them!

9. Clear Hotmail inbox regularly.

This, I can do. That thing fills up so freaking quick!

10. Complete work training; become comfortable with ref duty.

My first day of reference was last Wednesday; I'm feeling more comfortable even now. Our little group of librarians is such a community that everyone asks everyone else about their ref questions, so I don't feel like such a noob doing the same.

11. Begin 30,000-mile tune-ups for Corolla.

Achhh...really, really should do this. Wow. I'm already coming up on 3,000 miles after just one month! Such is the life of a commuter, I guess. (OH...and Neil went to Ohio in that car! I almost forgot. Thank goodness!)

12. Minor things: keep up with DVR recordings; keep up with EWs.

I was down to under 50% while Neil was out of town! This hasn't happened since the first week we had the machine! Now it's back up to past 80%. As for EWs, I'm purging a few a week.

13. Purge/clip old magazines.

Major back burner here, but I'd like a crappy-weather-Sunday to devote to this.

14. Floss regularly, or use WaterPik. Visit the dentist!

I am busting out my Pik to-NIGHT! I'm making it part of my nightly bathroom bedtime ritual, which right now consists of nothing more than swish mouthwash, twirl hair into a claw, and wash hands.

15. Use my spare time for good, and not evil.

I've been doing all right so far. :)

16. E-mail friends more regularly, and with substance--and more promptly. I love writing; why don't I make more time for it?

I'm afraid with my new, crazier work schedule, that this will go by the wayside. I really don't like rushing through letters; I like to devote as much time as I want to each one, instead of grabbing ten minutes to shoot Linds/Betsy/Mel a note or whatever. Maybe I should take one lunch hour a week and instead of decompressing through WordTwist, see how writing works for a relaxant...

17. Keep my relationship with Neil open, strong, loving, and healthy.

We've been through a tough week, and we're better for it. I'm confident our support system will maintain through all life has to throw at us.

18. Be a good or better friend.

I'm so maddeningly general, aren't I?

19. Pay off some of our debt.

Wellll...this may not be a goal for the near future, but I'm not giving up on it for the year. I'll see what I can do on a very strict budget!

20. Quit Sprint!

I need to make this leap, especially since my phone dies if you tap it gently in the wrong spot. And now it's not giving me my voicemails. Lovely!


New resolves:

21. Draw out a budget plan with revised finances

Not knowing where we stand every month makes my stomach curl into knots, and I don't want to live that way right now. I've never lived with a strict budget before, and I look forward to the challenge of it. It may even make me adopt better habits for a more financially secure future, since I've never been fantastic with money.

22. Keep up the 8-hour-a-night habit

I'm loving feeling tired at 9:00 and not sleeping in much past 8:00 on the weekends. My body's adjusting so well to my new schedule; I have ever been a night owl, and I was worried that with this brand-new full-time commitment, I'd spend each day at work trying to wake myself up for eight hours.

23. Mercilessly coupon-clip, but don't buy things I won't use, just because I have a coupon.

It's exhilarating finding a fantastic deal at the store--like when a package of lunch meat is on sale for $1.00 and I have a 50-cents off coupon that's doubled. Free!

No comments: