Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ooo, deep.

I don't really know why I wanted to answer these. They're not my style. But for some reason, I'm here. Answering them.

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

25

Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Oh gimme a break, no one is going to put "failing." Even though I really really don't like keeping trying and trying and failing.

If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?

IKNOWRITE

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Yeah, probs. I talk big talk, people. And I write big writes. Doing...eh, not so much.

What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?

Religious conflict. I think that's the root to soooooo many problems. Why can't those who choose to be devout leave those who have a different set of beliefs BE??? Do they really think they can change how someone thinks? How effing disrespectful. I hate it.

If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?

Reading. Puzzling (crossword; kakuro). Scrapbooking.

Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?

These days, it's the latter. But it's because of the physical space I work in, not because of my career choice.

If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?

God, that's depressing. I don't even feel growed up at 34.

To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

A lot of it. I settled in Columbia by choice, after trying out various other avenues by choice. Went looking for significant others proactively, and met my soul partner thusly. I went to school for the career that I now have--a job which fell into my lap.

Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

Umm....that first one.

You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?

Defend her ferociously. No one talks bad about my peeps. I'd make them feel guilty about doing so, too.

If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?

Wow, no pressure. Umm...."Your parents don't know everything, sweetheart. They know a lot. But not everything."

Would you break the law to save a loved one?

Um, yeah...duh!

Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?

Yeah...Emo Philips, for one.

What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

Hold a pencil/knife; put my socks and shoes on; kiss

How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?

Uhh...we're all different people here...just because I like drinking olive brine straight from the jar doesn't mean I'm baffled that other people don't. If everyone got happy at the exact same things, how boring a world would we live in?!!

What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What's holding you back?

I want to get a tattoo. I'm scared of the pain....the cost...and that i might cry every time I see it

Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?

HA! Story of my FREAKING LIFE! Have you seen our storage unit?? My scrapbook room?? And yes...emotionally...yes.

If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?

Country: Canada. Don't know much about it, but you can't say anything bad about universal health care and no guns. Oh, and P.E.I.!!!
State: California, the Carolinas, NY (but only C), some other new-englandy state, PacNW, NM, Ill(but only Chicago), Wisconsin or Iowa if I develop a tolerance for winter.
I'd move for a great job, or family, or weather.

Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?

I used to, but I'm older and more cynical now.

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

Joyful simpleton, hands down a million times. There's little joy in being smart. (I hope that doesn't sound snobby.)

Why are you, you?

Wow. Heavy.
Nurture, but mostly nature.

Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?

I try to be. But sometimes I'm really not. And I hate myself for it. :(

Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?

Losing touch. I can deal with a LDR/friendship (shout-out to most everyone who reads this! Love you!)

What are you most grateful for?

Love in my life.

Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?

Holy yikes! I guess lose old ones. I don't want to live for the past.

Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

Nope.

Has your greatest fear ever come true?

Yeah. But I have several. Just please do not let me ever be in a car sinking into water and I'll be okay.

Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now?

I TOTALLY do, damnit! And no it effing doesn't! LET IT GO, GEN!!!

What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special?

1. When Mom came to pick me up to tell me about Lily in her tummy. She made me feel incredibly special.

2. Mom wakes me up at 3...4...something...AM, and in the chilly darkness we throw on sweats and head out to the University observatory. Hailey's Comet could be seen that night through the ginormous, scary telescope (not calling it Halley's no matter how wrong that makes me), and it was thrilling to be out with other families in the middle of the night experiencing this crazy thing together. Hardee's on the way home for breakfast, and then she lets me watch Mighty Mouse when I get home. It's Saturday morning and I've never seen Sat AM cartoons this early. Again...I felt special....coddled...on a secret mission.

At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?

Hmm....I haven't danced recently...or played a spirited game of Celebrity...or seen Rent...
Oh! Wait, yes...a few friends and I went to Mamma Mia at Jesse this year. Singing and dancing and watching old people dance...that was a trip!

If not now, then when?

IKNOWRITE

If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?

Sorry charlie...there's generally something to lose.

Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

Heck yeah. ;)


Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

THIS IS WHAT I AM SAYING.

Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

Hell no.

If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?

Hell yes.

Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?

The more work enjoy thing.

Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?

Not this day because it's all Christmassy up in here. But if not for the Christmas part...then yes. Yes yes yes. I've lived it daily for three years.

When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

I'm pretty scared of the dark. Physically and metaphorically.

If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?

Hi, I hate this question.

Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?

Eff no.

What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Being alive is merely physical. Living is making the most out of that alive body and soul.

When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?

If I know it's right...then it's time as soon as I realize that.

If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

Cuz it sucks, yo!

What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?

Dance in public

When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?

Just a moment ago when I was thinking about childhood memories. :)

What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?

What do I love? Really? I'm impatient with these questions. I love a lot. A lot of people, a lot of things. And yes, I try and always express it.

In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday? What about the day before
that? Or the day before that?

With some prodding, yes. My memory is the bane of my existence.

Decisions are being made right now. The question is: Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?

Until a month ago I would have said I'm letting others make them. But now I'm trying to make them for myself. A year ago...same thing.



8 comments:

LilBear said...

This post made me totally LOL. I'm glad you are back. :) And I LOVE the fact that you have an awesome memory. The middle-of-the-night telescope run sounds so awesome. Wonder if anything cool like that ever happened to me when I was a kid? No. Damn. Idea. No memory.

And I agree... there is generally something to lose. Otherwise, people would be a lot more reckless.

genevieve said...

The memory thing is truly a blessing and a curse...but mostly a curse since I only remember very unimportant details or very emotional ones. But nothing useful. :-) Do I remember what you and I fought about junior year that lead to several months of not talking? Yes! But I don't know ANYONE'S birthday for sure. Yours is the 31st. Slight possibility it's the 30th. Pretty sure it's the 31st. But I will forever not be positive about that.

genevieve said...

The memory thing is truly a blessing and a curse...but mostly a curse since I only remember very unimportant details or very emotional ones. But nothing useful. :-) Do I remember what you and I fought about junior year that lead to several months of not talking? Yes! But I don't know ANYONE'S birthday for sure. Yours is the 31st. Slight possibility it's the 30th. Pretty sure it's the 31st. But I will forever not be positive about that.

Shannon said...

Glad you're back. I'm overwhelmingly hormonal and emotional at the moment, so I'm not going to add much to any of these questions, but I really loved reading them, and I could imagine you answering them in my head, which makes me so so happy.
<3.

genevieve said...

I miss you, shanners. Let's talk soon.

Emily S. said...

I just love your perspective. That's all for now. <3

Except, yeah... I'll likely never be into drinking olive brine.

Sarah Lambson said...

MAN these questions made me want to throw my computer out the window. But I never did because your answers made me smile.

I especially agree with the "dancing in public" one. I would LOVE to dance but am too self conscious.

genevieve said...

Em: Thanks, gal. I love that we appreciate each others', despite the fact that they may not agree! You're totally missing out on the olive brine thing, beeteedubs...

Sarah: HI!! I know--so bad, right?? I don't even know why I did it. I just can't resist prompts. :)