Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh, no.

So I just heard a term.  And by GOLLY I hope it doesn't catch on or, worse, HAS, and I didn't even know it.

This word is "Movical."  Oh my lord.  



People--I have sat silently by while "Rom-Com" catches on, inwardly screaming at how the "Rom" and "Com" parts don't rhyme (because it totally looks like they would, if you were a stranger to English and learning our next-to-impossible language).   Grinding my teeth at the dumbing-down of one of my favorite movie genres, because now it seems even more stupid if I say I want to see the new Ellen Page movie and people are all "Oh, yeah, the rom-com," all condescendingly.

And now comes my other favorite movie genre, totally made to sound INSANELY stupid by people who...what?  Think it's easier to SAY?  Are the type of people who think two extra syllables are just too tough?  (Well, it's probably the same folks who type "lol" instead of the one-extra-lettered-and-a-smatter-more-intelligent "haha.")

I have been cursing whoever starts these for turning Every Little Combo into portmanteau words, when in this case it's just a GENRE of movies.  I mean, are we going to do this for every genre now?  What's freakin' next?

SCI-nema?

ANI-motion pictures?



So, NO.  I refuse to accept F%#&ing "MOVICAL."  It sounds like a COW, SEARCHING FOR HIS CALF.  

And for that matter, I will no longer recognize "Rom Com" as a viable term.  That's right, folks.  You try to use it, I'll pretend I just went temporarily deaf and will ask you to repeat yourself until you say something different.  Or else I'll just bop you in the nose.


'Cos you should know better!

4 comments:

Emily S. said...

i'd like to be present at the nose-bopping of someone, or the repeat-huh?-til -they-change-their-phrasing...

T'would be FUN----nnnny.

:)

lol.

j/k.

haha.

genevieve said...

HA! I am so desensitized to 'lol' that I didn't even notice it the first time I read your comment. I despise that desensitivity. :)

Julina said...

I'm a bit worried now that someone won't read the whole entry and actually try to get "sci-nema" into popular usage. If it does, I'm totally blaming you :-)

genevieve said...

Well, if that happens, I am totally taking credit. It's the only silver lining on that cloud.

Thanks for making me giggle. :)